Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: General Bye bye Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295413)

Sahodgson Jun 4th, 2019 19:07

Bye bye Volvo

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 120787

Leaving the Volvo family due to van/trailer combo deciding to turn right whilst I was overtaking.... car insurance write off... sad day :(

Damage: bonnet, ns wing, ns passenger door, ns light, washer bottle, front bumper, lots of brackets..... gutted, only recently passed 100k.

I await the disappointing offer that is bound to come from the insurers

filbert Jun 8th, 2019 21:40

Sympathy...

Even if repairable, I wonder if it would be the same in future. I was luckier when someone went into the back of my '08 XC70. He didn't do enough to write it off and I got a new bumper out of it.

Sahodgson Jun 8th, 2019 22:52

Replacement

1 Attachment(s)
Just purchased this D5 geartronic as replacement... Tried a few alternatives, nothing quite like a Volvo

S

volvocat Jun 10th, 2019 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2527106)
Just purchased this D5 geartronic as replacement... Tried a few alternatives, nothing quite like a Volvo

S

Good decision - and now you’ve got a sunroof! :thumbs_up:

Tannaton Jun 10th, 2019 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvocat (Post 2527440)
Good decision - and now you’ve got a sunroof! :thumbs_up:

and Headlights!

Kev0607 Jun 10th, 2019 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2527106)

S

Lovely car. What's the mileage & is there any service history?

Sahodgson Jun 10th, 2019 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2527612)
Lovely car. What's the mileage & is there any service history?

Thanks, done 170k with FSH, few little niggles but nothing major.... see other post. Bit of a bargain, but needs must, still jockeying with insurance over write-off and this was all I wanted to spend on a replacement....

Kev0607 Jun 10th, 2019 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2527615)
Thanks, done 170k with FSH, few little niggles but nothing major.... see other post. Bit of a bargain, but needs must, still jockeying with insurance over write-off and this was all I wanted to spend on a replacement....

Just run in! 170k is nothing on a Volvo. I have an 2007 S80 myself, but my Dad has a V70 on a 57 plate & its a lovely car too. His has 151,000 miles, but still drives like its new. I was looking at your other post & it just seems like niggles as you say... Nothing too major/expensive I wouldn't think.

I did notice you mentioned that you had a front end knocking noise. I've noticed when I pull into my drive, there's a knock when I mount the very low kerb. The sound seems to be towards the top of the engine on the driver's side & I think it could be a strut mount. Out of curiosity, how did you test your strut mounts? There's some sort of plastic cover over the top of it, does this just pull off?

Sahodgson Jun 11th, 2019 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2527619)
Just run in! 170k is nothing on a Volvo. I have an 2007 S80 myself, but my Dad has a V70 on a 57 plate & its a lovely car too. His has 151,000 miles, but still drives like its new. I was looking at your other post & it just seems like niggles as you say... Nothing too major/expensive I wouldn't think.

I did notice you mentioned that you had a front end knocking noise. I've noticed when I pull into my drive, there's a knock when I mount the very low kerb. The sound seems to be towards the top of the engine on the driver's side & I think it could be a strut mount. Out of curiosity, how did you test your strut mounts? There's some sort of plastic cover over the top of it, does this just pull off?

I’ve only inspected from above, the mesh covers just pop off and you can have a good look at the rubber seat and check the nut (18mm) is torqued up. I’ll be taking mine to a garage for a proper wheels off the floor and pry-bar session to find the culprit.... mine is only knocking slightly over small bumps and undulations, so could be track-rod, drop-links, anti roll bar bushes, lower control arm or shock absorber (though that looks and feels sound)...

Kev0607 Jun 11th, 2019 00:23

I'll have a go this weekend. I'll get someone to turn the steering and I'll have a look to see if there's any movement in the strut mounts.

If I turn the car off & wobble the steering slightly, I can hear the knocking around the bottom of the windscreen area and the strut mount is around that area give or take, so that's what I presume its that.