Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Replacement Engine Mounts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296605)

Andrew850 Jul 13th, 2019 22:32

Replacement Engine Mounts

Hi,

My 1999 S70T5 with 140 k miles has developed a clunk when accelerating/decelarating. The clunk seems to be coming from the right side of the engine, and low down. I'm pretty certain it's one or more of the engine mounts - but how do I work out which one it is?

I've looked at the top engine mount ( the one that bolts onto the bulkhead ) and the rubber is a bit split, but it's not too bad. The tie rod - front lower - also looks ok.

How can I check the RH lower mount - the one under the engine??

Any recommendations on the mounts - are pattern ones ok ( e.g. PFV online) or should I get genuine Volvo parts??

Any advice appreciated!!

Andrew.

Cookeh Jul 13th, 2019 22:41

Have to put a jack under the engine to take the weight off the mount and then unbolt. Only then will you be able to see if it is worn.

Luxobarge Jul 14th, 2019 08:37

Also, surely it'd make sense to replace both anyway, so you don't really need to know which one is knackered before you do the job? I know I would...... :teeth_smile:

Andrew850 Jul 14th, 2019 22:00

Yeah, I know both need to be replaced....

Are the pattern mounts any good, or should I just go straight for genuine parts??

Thanks,

Andrew.

Cookeh Jul 15th, 2019 09:03

Pattern as always, depends on the brand. Lemforder, Meyle, MOOG, etc will be perfectly fine if not better.

acshortt5 Jul 15th, 2019 10:15

If you are getting a clunk it will probably be the lower gearbox tie mount. Easy to change, one end bolts to the gearbox and the other end to the subframe - it has 2 bushes which obviously go soft/fail over time.

The other mounts are the front and rear "pads" and there is an additional mount at the cambelt end of the engine which again is fairly easy to change but make sure you get the correct one as there are a few different versions - I would go genuine volvo for this to ensure you get the right one. This one suffers from the rubber section separating from the metal part so is not obviously broken when just looking at it.

The front pad mount is easy to change, the rear one should be fairly easy on an N/A but is a pain on turbo cars as the turbo sits over the top nut making access difficult - I replaced this pad while I had the turbo out to refurb it which made it a lot more straightforward. I also found that I had to jack the engine up quite a lot to fit the new one, it was not a pleasant job.

Lemforder are good for the pad mounts (FYI front and rear are different part numbers) and the lemforder ones I got appeared to have "volvo & the volvo p/n" ground off them...

Meyle are good as well, even better if you can get a HD version.

StatusRed Jul 15th, 2019 11:51

^^^ Was gonna say, if it's a clunk when accelerating / decelerating and / or changing gear it's most likely to be the gearbox mount.