Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cat pulling left when driving (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297906)

sreviz Aug 23rd, 2019 10:44

Cat pulling left when driving

My xc90 pulling to the left all the time.
I've have told to replace several parts including tyres.
So far in the last 3 yrs I changed both wishbones, drop links, ball joints, checked, changed , greases brake parts,
Rear lower control arm with power flex bushes, rear camber rod and bushes.

All are replaced because of its age and splits in the bushes.
Not sure how and how to diagnose this problem in sequence.
Done several allignments including hunters.
Mechanics these days (what I've seen), does not seems to know where to start with and giving me advise to change the parts randomly and not guaranteeing the job.

I checked the height of the suspension by wheel arch in a flat ground, it seems alright, I think.
Can some one point me in the right direction where to begin please.
Thank you.

mopedmick Aug 23rd, 2019 11:00

First time I have heard of a cat causing a pull to the left ......

Georgeandkira Aug 23rd, 2019 11:48

As you say, it stinks when amateurs randomly replace parts with your money.

How many miles are on this car? The tie rod ends (steering gear output from the rack) might be worn too.

How long ago during this 3 year ordeal were the brake pins inspected or lubed?

FYI: The forum for XC-90's is 5 fora down the list.

sreviz Aug 23rd, 2019 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopedmick (Post 2547392)
First time I have heard of a cat causing a pull to the left ......

Typo!!!!!!!!!!!!

sreviz Aug 23rd, 2019 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2547412)
As you say, it stinks when amateurs randomly replace parts with your money.

How many miles are on this car? The tie rod ends (steering gear output from the rack) might be worn too.

How long ago during this 3 year ordeal were the brake pins inspected or lubed?

FYI: The forum for XC-90's is 5 fora down the list.

Thank you for your advice.
130k on the car.
Yes. I do know its not for xc90 , but xc90 carries kind of similar structure and parts for D5 engine. That is why I posted here.

Ive replace tie rods myself both inner and outer as well.

Iam based in surrey, Not sure if there is any special places that they do the geometry check apart form wheel alignment.

Google is not helping me coz it brings up what ever they want to show. Not specifically garage.
I do 90% of work on my car though.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

mopedmick Aug 23rd, 2019 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreviz (Post 2547467)
Typo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tongue firmly in cheek, I might have worked that one out you know .......

V70Zig Aug 23rd, 2019 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreviz (Post 2547470)
Thank you for your advice.
130k on the car.
Yes. I do know its not for xc90 , but xc90 carries kind of similar structure and parts for D5 engine. That is why I posted here.

Ive replace tie rods myself both inner and outer as well.

Iam based in surrey, Not sure if there is any special places that they do the geometry check apart form wheel alignment.

Google is not helping me coz it brings up what ever they want to show. Not specifically garage.
I do 90% of work on my car though.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

My passed away P1 V70 had the tracking/wheel alignment done at a local garage.....pulled left...followed by a National garage with the latest equipment....still pulled left...took it to my local Kwik Fit......sorted.
My main dealer had to do all alignment after fitting rear radius arm bushes on my current P3......still driving straight........
The moral of this story is....not everybody knows how to use their equipment.

BobS Aug 24th, 2019 11:43

Hi,

As been said above not all garages seem to set the geometry up the same!

I would try a rough DIY check as follows;

Park on level ground

Front camber by measuring the distance using a plum line. Have it just touching the edge of the bottom of the rim. Then check the distance horizontally from the top of the rim to the string. Do it both sides should be roughly the same. 'O' level geometry will also give you the angle.

Toe-in by the plum line and a nail (just long enough for plum to miss wheel). Tie plum string to the nail so that plum is just off the ground when measuring. Mark position on ground for the front and rear of each rim. Move car and measure distance across the car for each measurement. Front and back measurement each will show toe in (divide difference by 2).

Lastly make a puddle and drive through it with someone checking that the rear tyre follows exactly the path of the front.

These are not in any way accurate but having tried the obvious it should reassure you what is ok.

It may show nothing but what else can you do on a bank holiday weekend for nothing!

Bob

Clan Aug 24th, 2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreviz (Post 2547386)
My xc90 pulling to the left all the time.
I've have told to replace several parts including tyres.
So far in the last 3 yrs I changed both wishbones, drop links, ball joints, checked, changed , greases brake parts,
Rear lower control arm with power flex bushes, rear camber rod and bushes.

All are replaced because of its age and splits in the bushes.
Not sure how and how to diagnose this problem in sequence.
Done several allignments including hunters.
Mechanics these days (what I've seen), does not seems to know where to start with and giving me advise to change the parts randomly and not guaranteeing the job.

I checked the height of the suspension by wheel arch in a flat ground, it seems alright, I think.
Can some one point me in the right direction where to begin please.
Thank you.

The first thing to do is swap the front wheel over ,, see what changes ... If not much difference swap rear to front .... you can then swap front over again ... if not much difference it could be anything do do with what you have changed , always use volvo parts otherwise you will never know where you are .
In most cases of pulling one way or another it is tyres ...

sreviz Aug 24th, 2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobS (Post 2547679)
Hi,

As been said above not all garages seem to set the geometry up the same!

I would try a rough DIY check as follows;

Park on level ground

Front camber by measuring the distance using a plum line. Have it just touching the edge of the bottom of the rim. Then check the distance horizontally from the top of the rim to the string. Do it both sides should be roughly the same. 'O' level geometry will also give you the angle.

Toe-in by the plum line and a nail (just long enough for plum to miss wheel). Tie plum string to the nail so that plum is just off the ground when measuring. Mark position on ground for the front and rear of each rim. Move car and measure distance across the car for each measurement. Front and back measurement each will show toe in (divide difference by 2).

Lastly make a puddle and drive through it with someone checking that the rear tyre follows exactly the path of the front.

These are not in any way accurate but having tried the obvious it should reassure you what is ok.

It may show nothing but what else can you do on a bank holiday weekend for nothing!

Bob

Will try your advice this week. That's more clear.
Thank you.