Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   G/box: 850 Auto: PNP switch removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301636)

stevepcar Dec 17th, 2019 15:28

PNP switch removal

Hello I have a 1996 850 T5 with an autobox. I am trying to get the PNP switch off to clean it & I have hit a problem with getting the wiring connector apart. I have watched 2-videos that say you have to put a penknife down the back to push the retainer in & pull it up at the same time. I think after several attempts that I have jammed the retainer, so it wont budge. I don't want to try to dismantle the PNP switch in situ as the springs & contacts could fall out, also undoing the screws that hold it together is proving impossible without finding a way to hold the switch down while I try to turn the slightly rusted screws. What I need to know is it possible to disconnect the other 2-sets of wires that come out of the 3-way connector & are connected directly to the top of the gearbox. Then I could remove everything as a unit without dismantling the 3-way connector & work on it on my bench.
Any help or advice always appreciated.

capt jack Dec 17th, 2019 18:38

Could you simply cut the wires, remove the switch and then once it's on the bench attend to it's rebuild, and then re-join the wiring once it's ready to go back?

Jack

stevepcar Dec 18th, 2019 11:06

Thanks Jack, but I am always a bit wary of cutting through wiring harness wires, not sure I can do a good enough repair, but I might look into doing that if all else fails.

Derek UK Dec 18th, 2019 14:31

I think you need a thinner blade on the knife. If it's only to move the tab sideways it should be an easy move. Penknife blades often have a thick and thin edge and that's not what you need.

rudi dudi Dec 18th, 2019 19:24

Mate I wouldn't bother if your trying to repair that fault you asked about on your previous thread.
You've more than likely got a knackered solenoid on the valve body.
Stick around here long enough and you will come across all sorts of laughable advice from some that wouldn't know one end of a spanner from the other.
Have you read your codes before you waste your time and possibly break that switch.Best part of a £100 if you do.
You can test that switch in situ without any tools.
That switch is basically only for cranking in gear protection.
Does the car crank in Park ? Yes or No ( Yes move to next)
Does the car crank In Neutral ? Yes or No (Yes move to next)
Does the car crank in Drive ?yes or no (No move to next)
Does the car crank in Reverse yes or no ( No well done nothing wrong with swich)
You car has sat for a while and the valve body has got jammed
My money is on.

stevepcar Dec 19th, 2019 16:17

PNP Switch

Thanks Rudi
Before I stripped it all down to try & get the PNP switch out, the gerbox seemed to be working ok. I had only tried to crank it in the Park pos. so I dont know about any other position. Where is the solenoid you are referring to, is it any easier to fix?
I live in Bristol too, if you are passing & could point at something that would be a great help & worth a beer

rudi dudi Dec 19th, 2019 18:08

If it's a solenoid it is on the valve body which is inside the box.
You need to read the codes as your just going on guess work.
Autoboxes aren't a diy item really.
I wouldn't be much help if I called round.Why not take it to Bristol transmissions for a proper diagnosis.

stevepcar Dec 19th, 2019 18:11

Thanks Rudi
I should get the codes read, I was trying to avoid paying a Volvo dealer a ridiculous fee just to read them off. I might try Bristol Transmissions though.
Cheers

rudi dudi Dec 19th, 2019 18:16

Don't bother with the dealer they wouldn't know how to repair it.
They would simply diagnose it as faulty (no ****) and quote you several grand bill to fit a replacement box.

stevepcar Jan 5th, 2020 17:10

Auto Transmission warning light

Well Rudi I didn't pull the PNP switch apart, I reassembled everything & did the checks you suggested: Does it crank in Park & neutral ...yes it did Did it crank in Drive & reverse...no it didnt. The reversing lights come on in reverse too. So I took it for a test run, all gears seem to be changing sweetly, but about 3-miles out on the ring road upto about 60, the arrow started flashing again! I hadn't tried putting it in cruise control . So I read the codes when I got back and got 1:2:2 Break in Solenoid S1 circuit. So looks like you were right. I will take it to Bristol Transmissions & see what they can do.