Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Should I buy an S60? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96532)

GMad May 26th, 2010 10:48

Should I buy an S60?

Right people, my 99 V70 is getting a little long in the tooth and as such I am looking at alternatives.
So far another (newer) V70, a Ford Mondeo (hatch) and a Volvo S60 are potentially on my list.
I know V70s, so dont need information on them and I borrowed a 55 registered Mondeo a few weeks back and liked it. So now I'm after some info on S60s.
Is the boot a similar size as the V70 (with the seats up and the load cover on?), are there any regular gripes/complaints?
Convince me, or not!

Georgey dee May 26th, 2010 10:51

They're pretty much the same as the V70 just with less room in the back and a small boot opening. The boot is big but is heavily restricted by the opening.

GMad May 26th, 2010 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgey dee (Post 676478)
They're pretty much the same as the V70 just with less room in the back and a small boot opening. The boot is big but is heavily restricted by the opening.

That's good news thanks..
I do a fair bit of travelling around with my work and need to carry tools, suitcase and laptop bag, plus another medium sized bag with PPE in it. So as long as it all fits, that's all I need.

Anjow May 26th, 2010 11:42

The boot is big indeed. I climbed into mine last weekend and there was room for another person in there. It goes so far back.

Bill_56 May 26th, 2010 12:02

Ditto the comments about big boot.

Some have a very worthwhile flip-up panel, which divides the boot into a smaller, easily accessible region, and the cavarnous remainder. I leave the panel up 99% of the time as it can othwerwise be awkard to reach things at the extremities.

Some (/all?) also have an unusual feature, a front passenger seat that can be folded flat just like the rear seats, allowing extremely long items to be carried without hanging out the back.

If looks matter to you, the S60 is the nicest-looking car I've ever owned. It's not just me... I've lost count how many times friends & colleagues have commented on it, and that's never happened with other cars.

starwarrior1981 May 26th, 2010 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_56 (Post 676500)
Some have a very worthwhile flip-up panel, which divides the boot into a smaller, easily accessible region, and the cavarnous remainder. I leave the panel up 99% of the time as it can othwerwise be awkard to reach things at the extremities.

Some (/all?) also have an unusual feature, a front passenger seat that can be folded flat just like the rear seats, allowing extremely long items to be carried without hanging out the back.

If looks matter to you, the S60 is the nicest-looking car I've ever owned. It's not just me... I've lost count how many times friends & colleagues have commented on it, and that's never happened with other cars.

Agree with above, I think all SE versions have those features. My friends comment my car as well, especially pulling power and acceleration ,seats and sound system, but curves of the rear part of the car as well ;-)

Hinckley May 26th, 2010 13:03

The S60 is without doubt the best looking car I have owned to date, driving one will be very familiar to you as it is very similar to the V70. The handling is good and the car has minimal body roll compared to the V70. As others have said the boot space is huge I have had a full set of travelling luggage in my old one without putting the rear seats down!

Having worked on many a mondeo they are generally reliable, however they will not achieve monster miles like for like with Volvo due to the economical build quality. IMO they do not have the road presence of the S60 and certainly will not command the jealousy of your neighbours.

Anjow May 26th, 2010 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_56 (Post 676500)

My S model has this. It's the driver's side too, I think. It's not just for big loads, I think it's mentioned in VADIS as necessary for removing the seats.

GMad May 27th, 2010 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinckley (Post 676530)
and certainly will not command the jealousy of your neighbours.

I have the only five bedroomed detached house on the road, a Pontiac Trans Am and a Suzuki Hayabusa!
Neighbourhood jealousy is not a consideration when it comes to my working vehicle..

Chopster May 28th, 2010 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMad (Post 676896)
I have the only five bedroomed detached house on the road, a Pontiac Trans Am and a Suzuki Hayabusa!
Neighbourhood jealousy is not a consideration when it comes to my working vehicle..

Ooooooooo!!! LOL