Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Suspension: Front wishbone bushes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290540)

Stev Mac Jan 11th, 2019 14:57

Front wishbone bushes

Hi All,
My last service advised to replace my front NS wishbone bushes on my V70 SE P2 2007 diesel 163 BHP. I questioned the mechanic whether to replace them with Volvo OEM parts or Polly bush them. He was not clear what he would replace them with but indicated Polly bushes would give a harder ride. I come from the school to do both sides.
What are you thoughts Polly or OEM?

Steve Mac.

marcb Jan 11th, 2019 19:20

We've had two p2 V70s, first non-poly wishbones, second bought with wishbones polybushed (we have this Volvo now). I think poly does give a more jittery ride but the other big factor is wheel size - the first p2 was 16 inch, current is 17 inch with 225/45 tyres.

If it were me I'd put the OEM ones in.

pierremcalpine Jan 11th, 2019 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcb (Post 2484002)
We've had two p2 V70s, first non-poly wishbones, second bought with wishbones polybushed (we have this Volvo now). I think poly does give a more jittery ride but the other big factor is wheel size - the first p2 was 16 inch, current is 17 inch with 225/45 tyres.

If it were me I'd put the OEM ones in.

Me too.

VOLVOBOY Jan 11th, 2019 19:36

Hi.
Without a doubt I say Poly-bush.
I did mine several years ago . Transforms the steering. OK , it could be argued that the vague feel and wandering all over the place was due to knackered bushes in the first place. However , I replaced mine when the MOT was still an advisory. Couldn`t get the rear / vertical bushes then so only changed the front. Maybe poly-bushing both does harden the ride - I can`t say but just changing out the front - definitely not.
Only gripe I have is that winter salt and hot dry summer conditions do make the bushes creak.

jgjones095 Jan 11th, 2019 19:57

Polybushes no question.

Both my xc's have them.

marcb Jan 11th, 2019 20:40

OEM 2 Poly 2 at half time.

simonwedge Jan 12th, 2019 07:01

OEM, I think the ride is hard enough anyway without adding to it. These aren't meant to be sportscars.

Stev Mac Jan 12th, 2019 11:42

Poly- bush or OEM

Hi All,
Firstly, thanks to all that have replied. The Jury appears to be 50- 50 so with that in mind, I think given that the overriding factor is the already 'harsh' ride I will take my Indi's advise and go with OEM.

Should I have both sides done?

Steve Mac.

davebb Jan 12th, 2019 13:17

Hi If you are going to pay some one to re-bush the arms, it mite be cheaper to fit brand new arms as paying for the time to change the bushes,
what are they going to charge you to change the bushes ?
Dave

Georgeandkira Jan 12th, 2019 18:54

Always match left-to-right whatever you do to a front end. The only exception is having a bicycle tire on one side and a racing slick on the other. Somehow, that's OK.

You won't go wrong with doing whatever works out cheaper (new arms with bushes fitted or rebushing) but I just have to say the poly bushes did not result in any harshness. I could feel a reduction in vagueness and brighter steering.

Our boats weigh in at close to 2 tons. Arresting some of the wallow isn't, in my opinion, harshness. Polys also last a long time.