Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Free data MY2020 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298567)

XCWilts Sep 14th, 2019 10:37

Free data MY2020

Has anybody had trouble trying to create a Vodafone account after setting up the free Sim data card ?
It all seems to work but the Vodafone site won’t accept that you are using the vehicle hotspot?

MtillingVolvo Sep 16th, 2019 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCWilts (Post 2553693)
Has anybody had trouble trying to create a Vodafone account after setting up the free Sim data card ?
It all seems to work but the Vodafone site won’t accept that you are using the vehicle hotspot?

Seems there are some ongoing issues:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297482

I've just emailed the Product Manager within Volvo UK to ensure they are aware of the issues and on the case to fix it....

Clan Sep 16th, 2019 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCWilts (Post 2553693)

This is the responsibility of the dealer , it should have been activated on your PDI , let them sort it out ...

MtillingVolvo Sep 16th, 2019 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2554349)
This is the responsibility of the dealer , it should have been activated on your PDI , let them sort it out ...

Hi,

The Dealer does indeed install the SIM and ensure the correct settings are set up on the car itself and then the customer has to log into the car WiFi and set up a Vodafone account. The second part of this seems to be the part that is causing the problem at present.

Volvo are on the case (apparently have a call with Vodafone today about it) and I'll update this thread once more is known.

Kind Regards

Marc

Clan Sep 16th, 2019 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2554350)
Hi,

The Dealer does indeed activate the SIM and ensure the correct settings are set up on the car itself and then the customer has to log into the car WiFi and set up a Vodafone account. The second part of this seems to be the part that is causing the problem at present.

Volvo are on the case (apparently have a call with Vodafone today about it) and I'll update this thread once more is known.

Kind Regards

Marc

Doesn't the dealer ensure it's working on the handover? Ahh more IT problems , I think Volvo's entire IT system including their web sites are the worst in the industry one way and another :-) If only they were as easy and reliable as their internal QW90 system which has been running sweetly and lightening fast for the last 30 years...

MtillingVolvo Sep 16th, 2019 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2554356)
Doesn't the dealer ensure it's working on the handover? Ahh more IT problems , I think Volvo's entire IT system including their web sites are the worst in the industry one way and another :-) If only they were as easy and reliable as their internal QW90 system which has been running sweetly and lightening fast for the last 30 years...

Some dealers will do yes, although the end result would be the same due to the fact the issue is there at present....

The vast majority of our cars are delivered out all over the country and by the time our drivers have gone through the multitude of tech on our vehicles it has been easier to leave the customer with the details and let them set up the account at their leisure.

Up until now this has been fine and we've had no issues. At present there is an issue which, as i've mentioned, Volvo are aware of so please give them a chance to get this sorted and I'll report back as and when I hear more.

In the meantime, hopefully the world isn't going to come to a standstill because a few people can't set up a FREE data SIM for a few more days.....:tounge_smile:

Update - 16:45 -

All I know at present is that Volvo are aware there is an issue and working with Vodafone to have it resolved ASAP, but no timeline at this moment.

I'll continue to update as and when I have any further information.

Kind Regards

Marc

XCWilts Sep 16th, 2019 20:26

Mine seems quite happy without an account. It’s downloaded some map updates and just seems to be getting on with it. :thinking
I’m sure it will all be fine

MtillingVolvo Sep 20th, 2019 12:49

Hi,

Bit of feedback.

Apparently some of the issues are being caused by the "Safari" browser on Apple Products. If anyone on here is having issues and using Safari please can you try downloading an alternative browser onto your phone, trying again and let me know how you get on.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

XCWilts Sep 21st, 2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2555456)
Hi,

Bit of feedback.

Apparently some of the issues are being caused by the "Safari" browser on Apple Products. If anyone on here is having issues and using Safari please can you try downloading an alternative browser onto your phone, trying again and let me know how you get on.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Marc, If you set it up using a Windows PC it works fine. Tried Google on IOS and it wouldn’t connect. All working now and very happy with the car so thanks again

MtillingVolvo Sep 23rd, 2019 08:32

Many thanks for the feedback.