Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297733)

Begonia Aug 18th, 2019 14:56

Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019

The date today is 18 August 2019 and there are 74 days left to go to Brexit on 31 October 2019.

Q1. If I were to order a new Volvo XC90 today, would it arrive before Brexit?

Q2. If it arrives after Brexit, then I might have to pay an Import Surcharge. I believe this charge is highly likely under 'No Deal' to be 10%. Correct?

Q3. I've been offered a cracking discount on a new XC90. That is, providing I order it very quickly. I've been told the expected delivery date is currently mid-October 2019. Can I believe this to be true? If it is true, then I would take delivery before Brexit and miss having to pay an Import Surcharge.

Q4. There is always a risk that the vehicle delivery might be postponed/delayed until after Brexit, thereby possibly incurring me with a 10% Import Duty surcharge on the vehicle price. a. Should I risk placing an order? or b. Should I wait a while and miss the cracking discount? There is always a risk too, that the dealership who are giving me the cracking discount are actually telling me a lie about the anticipated Delivery Date. After all, they are 'car dealers'!

Q5. What do you understand the current expected Delivery Date to be for a Volvo XC90 ?

isleaiw Aug 18th, 2019 16:31

Perhaps the most important question is of course missing from your list... will Brexit day be 31/10? After all we don’t have much history of sticking to them and Parliament seems no more decided on a way forward now....whatever buffoon boris says...

gaby Aug 18th, 2019 17:13

Wow, +10% :eek:

XC90Mk1 Aug 18th, 2019 17:32

A small price to pay to get out.

Philip Fisher Aug 18th, 2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by isleaiw (Post 2545904)
Perhaps the most important question is of course missing from your list... will Brexit day be 31/10? After all we don’t have much history of sticking to them and Parliament seems no more decided on a way forward now....whatever buffoon boris says...

Well if it doesnt happen on the 31.10.19 then the Conservatives will be out of power for a generation.....

Billggski Aug 18th, 2019 19:27

Depends on the terms of leaving. No deal (which no-one thought possible during the referendum) will be unpredictable, as even Rees Mogg and other twits accept it will mean that the UK car industry will have tremendous difficulties and production may collapse. So new cars may be in short supply.

As Volvos are made in China, Sweden, Belgium and the USA the tariffs could vary and the situation could be very fluid.
But as we will be running short of medicines, perishables, and other vital supplies (as Michael Gove agrees) then the price of new cars will look pretty unimportant.

Begonia Aug 18th, 2019 20:05

This is the site which prompted me to create this thread:

https://www.activacontracts.co.uk/ne...al-brexit.html

So this is why I accurately want to know what the scheduled XC90 delivery date is.

Zebster Aug 18th, 2019 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2545918)
A small price to pay to get out.

And those unhealthy snowflakes who die from medicine shortages are just collateral damage.

MattDell Aug 18th, 2019 20:14

I asked my Volvo dealer this and he told me “the price is the price”, meaning the price on the order form is what I am agreeing to pay and what they are agreeing to sell should Brexit happen before the car arrives.

Naturally, I don’t have that in writing and so who knows if they’d honour that or whether the salesman was just trying to get me to agree to the sale. Fortunately I am scheduled for a 2nd week of September delivery (ordered June) so I’m not cutting it too close to October 31st.

To answer your questions,

1) Only your dealership can answer this. Each have allocated delivery slots so they may have an order coming before October that isn’t built yet that they can change the specs of to match your order. My dealer did this.
2) 10%. Correct. It stings.
3) Could be true (see #1). You could always ask for a conditional order regarding delivery before Brexit or for them to cover the import charge should it be post Brexit?
4) See 3. Get something in writing if you’re worried.
5) Waits of several months seems to be common. That said, a lot of stock seems to be arriving in September and October into the UK.

Boatie Aug 18th, 2019 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2545955)
And those unhealthy snowflakes who die from medicine shortages are just collateral damage.

What however happens to we 'snowflakes' it will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will happen to the youth of today.
So far as the referendum is concerned has anyone on this forum signed up to buy a car without knowing the price? :speechless-smiley-5