Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   hids or upgrade bulbs? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=225849)

PETE S40 Mar 17th, 2015 16:43

How have you mounted your ballasts mount vision rider?

Looks like zip ties but its not that clear on my phone.... iv got some really strong double sided sticky pads in the box of bits hopefully they will be upto the job. See whats what when they arrive.

Mount vision rider Mar 17th, 2015 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETE S40 (Post 1874439)
How have you mounted your ballasts mount vision rider?

Looks like zip ties but its not that clear on my phone.... iv got some really strong double sided sticky pads in the box of bits hopefully they will be upto the job. See whats what when they arrive.

The brackets are bolted to the car. The zip ties are around the ballast and bracket as they slide about abit in the brackets and I didn't want them dropping out!

villar4sotrondio Mar 17th, 2015 21:26

By skyship:
(Every sensible Volvo owner keeps his headlights or DRL's on when driving during the daytime).

Nonsense. What every sensible Volvo owner should keep on at all times is his/her brain and their common sense so they switch on their lights at the slightest hint of poor visibility rather that wasting fuel and bulbs needlessly and dazzling other drivers. It's pathetic to see cars with lights on in a perfectly clear day and another example of nanny state treating us like brainless monkeys. One size does not fit all:lightning:

I use Osram Nightbreakers and they are OK but definitely not as long lasting as ordinary bulbs.

Dean1985 Mar 17th, 2015 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mount vision rider (Post 1874436)
You can see where the ballast is on the drivers side, passenger side is in the side of the battery what you can't see in this pic.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...psacxgnodb.jpg

I managed to hide mine behind the indicators with the wiring going in under the headlight, so is all hidden out of sight. it was a tight fit but do-able. Guess it depends on what ballasts you got

Spetsnaz GSh Mar 17th, 2015 21:48

Nice engine bay covers MVR.

I'm with sky ship on the DRL Debate. I think lights should be on at all time. As nice as silver and grey cars are, They are so much harder to see than other cars on the road. Unfortunately, not many people have common sense and so even in the awkward hours of the evening many people leave their lights off in what would seem a 50 50 split. Too many people use the " I can see so it's ok " excuse when the reality is it should be " can other people see me effectively"

Just my opinion anyway :)

bobthecabbage Mar 17th, 2015 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh (Post 1874743)

I'm with sky ship on the DRL Debate. I think lights should be on at all time. As nice as silver and grey cars are, They are so much harder to see than other cars on the road. Unfortunately, not many people have common sense and so even in the awkward hours of the evening many people leave their lights off in what would seem a 50 50 split. Too many people use the " I can see so it's ok " excuse when the reality is it should be " can other people see me effectively"

I'm with Spetsnaz. If you are relying on peoples common sense you are going to be waiting till the end of time.

I'd ask the question, why are DRLs only required on the front of cars? The manufacturers that started the trend had the sense to put them on the front and rear. You only need to look at a dumbass cyclist (if you see them at all), dressed all in black and riding in the half light or deep shadow, to realise that lights front and back at any time of day aren't a bad idea.

Mount vision rider Mar 17th, 2015 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthecabbage (Post 1874757)
I'm with Spetsnaz. If you are relying on peoples common sense you are going to be waiting till the end of time.

I'd ask the question, why are DRLs only required on the front of cars? The manufacturers that started the trend had the sense to put them on the front and rear. You only need to look at a dumbass cyclist (if you see them at all), dressed all in black and riding in the half light or deep shadow, to realise that lights front and back at any time of day aren't a bad idea.

Mine are left on all the time then there is no excuse for the idiot who pulls out on me!!!! "Oh I didn't see you!!!"

310den Mar 18th, 2015 07:44

On my phase 1 you cannot disable the DRL but on the rear of the switch I found one terminal labelled 'DRL'. I disconnected that wire and now the DRL lights still come on all around but only sidelights at the front so not the dipped beam. Lights work as normal when turned on to position 2. I would rather have the 5 watt bulbs on all the time than the 55 watt ones. If visibility dictates I need low beam on I will turn it on.

baldmosher Mar 18th, 2015 15:16

I bought a Volvo *specifically* because it has DRLs (no, seriously, that was one of the main factors)

I was gutted when I discovered you could turn them off :D so I followed tt82's guide to disable the off function.

I now get frustrated when I hire a car and you can't just leave them on dipped beam all the time.

I get more frustrated when I see people driving with their lights off. Especially in the rain on a motorway. It actually gives me the urge to smash into them just to make a point, it angers me that much.

villar4sotrondio Mar 18th, 2015 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh (Post 1874743)

Yes, we agree on the nature of the problem but not on the solution.
The only reason we need DRL's is people neglecting their duties as drivers and that is what should be targeted.

If people cannot be trusted to switch on their lights when needed, what hope do we have when it comes to other critical to safety items like tyres?
Soon someone out there will think their tyres are "filled for life" too!