Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 T2 engine idling - generally loud or a concern? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298728)

bagseye Sep 19th, 2019 18:57

V40 T2 engine idling - generally loud or a concern?

Hi,

I've got a 67 plate T2 with just under 12k on the clock. I've always found the engine idling to be quite loud for a petrol. Is this just common with the T2's? I know this is quite a broad question but I think the best I could describe it as is 'tappetty'.

However, in the last few days something concerning has started intermittently when at idle. There seems to be a knock of some sort coming from the engine. Again, I know this could be absolutely anything but I am wondering if owners have encountered similar symptoms on the way to something more severe.

The car is booked in next Friday so I may get an answer from the dealer.

Thanks

volvo for ever Sep 24th, 2019 07:27

Hi they are very common for balance shafts bearing noisy .

Clasico Oct 4th, 2019 15:25

I have the same feeling, but I suspect it's not only Volvo. In general, my impression is that all the "new" petrol engines, working with relatively "lean mixture", they do not work as smoothly as the "classic" atmospheric petrol engines from before the downsizing+turbo trend started.

On the other hand, the fuel consumption is lower, of course... and the turbo makes the overall performance pretty good.

RS3100 Oct 4th, 2019 15:32

I'm not sure you could describe the 2 litre T2 as being downsized. It's one of the reasons I chose it.

Only 9K on mine, but I would describe it as very quiet and smooth. Very happy with it so far!

bagseye Oct 10th, 2019 12:33

I agree on the new petrol engines comment. My father had a 66 plate 1 series and that was not as quiet as I remember engines of old being.

Anyway, an update on my problem.

I've just got the car back from the dealership and after a couple of days they found it to be loose air-con pipe mountigs at the back of the engine causing the rattle. This was more noticeable when the car was parked nose down.

Hopefully that's the end of the matter now because overall the car has been great, and I cant fault the dealership (Inverness) in this case who have been excellent

Thekilt Oct 27th, 2019 07:48

We picked up a 66 plate 2.0 T2 and I though the same too. The wives previous car was a 1.6 Naturally aspirated Kia Ceed, and that was dead silent to a point it was difficult to know if it was running.
When we picked this one up, it almost had a Diesel engine sound to it. I took it to our local dealer to compare with another they had (brand new) and was exactly the same. As others have said, I think he turbo engines are generally noisier. Not sure the mechanics why as it’s essentially a NA at tick over anyway!

T5R92011 Nov 8th, 2019 16:58

The 2.0-litre Volvo D2 also sounds like crap when idling.

I would expect these engines would be very reliable though given how little power output they produce for their given capacity and induction type.

RS3100 Nov 9th, 2019 13:28

It's not balance shaft noise you can hear on the T2 is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEbGcWrcs7s

Clan Nov 9th, 2019 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagseye (Post 2555269)
Hi,

I've got a 67 plate T2 with just under 12k on the clock. I've always found the engine idling to be quite loud for a petrol. Is this just common with the T2's? I know this is quite a broad question but I think the best I could describe it as is 'tappetty'.

However, in the last few days something concerning has started intermittently when at idle. There seems to be a knock of some sort coming from the engine. Again, I know this could be absolutely anything but I am wondering if owners have encountered similar symptoms on the way to something more severe.

The car is booked in next Friday so I may get an answer from the dealer.

Thanks

you have a GDI engine which injects fuel into the combustion chamber like a diesel , this requires a high pressure fuel pump on the top of the engine which can make a clattering noise .

volvo for ever Dec 1st, 2019 14:44

are we sure not balance shafts as very common to be noisy