Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Minidisc Replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143780)

hancym Jan 22nd, 2012 18:33

Minidisc Replacement

I've just taken my centre console out today to replace 4 dead bulbs and notice the minidisc player is connected with the same type of plug and coloured wires and the CD player. This led me to wonder if it's an easy job to replace this with a more modern solution. What do Volvo fit in place of the mini disc option in the later vehicles? Is the connection the same and I currently have? Can anything be installed in place? Any comment appreciated.

Clan Jan 22nd, 2012 18:39

No nothing else can be electricaly fitted there , On cars without mini disc there is a storage compartment .

hancym Jan 23rd, 2012 17:12

I was thinking more in line with the electrical connection rather than the physical space. Is the same connection uded in later models if so they may pu tme half way to doing "something" with a Volvo unit of some sorts.

Funky Diver Feb 6th, 2013 20:31

I too have been mulling on this...

There are guides to get a line in through the Amp, although for me it's a bit of a half way house. Then there's the use of the FM / AM inputs in the tuner, again with it's limitations. And finally the cheap and cheerful (and somewhat successful) use of FM transmitters to play audio through the radio...

All viable options, but not ideal (I live in a perfect world, in my head, lol)

Then I had a thought... presumably the actual "doing" part of the audio (CD player, MD Player, etc) involves generic off the shelf components, that are then coupled with an optical converter... so, I wondered if anyone has actually tried to tap into this part of the audio setup.

My MD player is jiggered (it just don't like to read the discs... ) so thought I might have a go, do a bit of investigation and so on and so forth... unless someone's already done it?

Keyser Soze Feb 6th, 2013 21:16

Fit a Dension Gateway 500 or Grom unit in it's place on the MOST fibre optic daisychain. Then you've got aux line in, ipod/iphone & MP3 on usb stick or hard drive.

Funky Diver Feb 6th, 2013 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze (Post 1348034)
Fit a Dension Gateway 500 or Grom unit in it's place on the MOST fibre optic daisychain. Then you've got aux line in, ipod/iphone & MP3 on usb stick or hard drive.

True... But then I lose the fun of investigation and the £350 notes it'll cost....

Keyser Soze Feb 7th, 2013 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky Diver (Post 1348210)
True... But then I lose the fun of investigation and the £350 notes it'll cost....

Aye granted, there is that aspect but then there's the straightforward install of the Dension followed by a PITA fckin nightmare getting the BTA1500 bluetooth module to work like I had.

Bigice Feb 7th, 2013 10:57

I dont see why you cannot take what I did to the FM/AM tuner and open up the mini disc player and find the analouge input and solder up a 3.5mm jack lead, just the same, as far as the stereo system is concerned it would still be playing the mini disc......

Take a pic of the insides and see what hcips are in there, then we could find the data sheet and find the inputs...

Funky Diver Feb 7th, 2013 11:33

That's the plan... Although I'm wondering if there is in fact any analogue source inside an MD player with it being digital. It may well need some sort of TTL converter to fit into the read head of the MD player.

I'm hoping to have a play this weekend.

seanXC90 Feb 7th, 2013 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancym (Post 1075148)
I've just taken my centre console out today to replace 4 dead bulbs and notice the minidisc player is connected with the same type of plug and coloured wires and the CD player. This led me to wonder if it's an easy job to replace this with a more modern solution. What do Volvo fit in place of the mini disc option in the later vehicles? Is the connection the same and I currently have? Can anything be installed in place? Any comment appreciated.

Hi - can I ask where you got the bulbs from and how much they cost. Thanks.