Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical Dash Info Not Working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307223)

js7799 Jun 22nd, 2020 20:32

Dash Info Not Working

Hi all, I'm new to this section of the forum. I just bought a 2009 V70 this weekend, and am really happy with it, so far! There is one issue I've noticed already: I can't get the info display to work on the gauge cluster. I push the READ button on the left stalk, and whatever warnings there are show up, i.e. rear belts not being used, door open, etc. But when I scroll the info knob, nothing happens. The messages that tell you fuel remaining, avg fuel, none of those show up at all. Is this a standard feature or something I need to get programmed in? Thanks in advance.

npg01 Jun 23rd, 2020 11:40

Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the forum with your V70.

The problem that you've described with the information dial on the left stalk mirrors exactly a fault that I'd experienced in my V70 of 2008 vintage. After working faultlessly for several years, I had lost the information that would usually be controlled by the dial.

Following a useful suggestion, either from elsewhere in this forum or from the 'Swedespeed' forums, a member had suggested investigating damage to small wires within the stalk.

To cut a long story short, damage to the wires had been the problem, with 3 of 5 wires [I seem to remember from over a year ago] seemingly cut by a sharp pair of scissors, but likely by being trapped amongst relatively sharp plastic edges to fittings.

I solved the problem by soldering the the cuts to the wires, with a small extension to each one to relieve strain and some cutting back of the potentially offending plastic fittings close to where the stalk pivots. So, depending on your soldering skills, it would be about a 1 hour job the remove the shroud around the steering column, the stalk itself [having previously disconnected the battery and waited 10 mins or so for the electronics to power down and minimise the likelihood of error codes], with careful prising open of the stalk, and then refitting after soldering etc.

The dial functioning on the stalk was re-established immediately after refitting, and over a year on since the fix, it's still behaving perfectly!!

Anyway, I hope that these thoughts might help. Sending my very best regards.

V70Zig Jun 23rd, 2020 16:22

I just replaced the stalk....£60 ish from Volvo.....sorted.

js7799 Jun 23rd, 2020 20:05

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll have a go at sorting the wires first. Thanks!

js7799 Jun 24th, 2020 14:09

Update: I took the stalk apart last night and couldn't see any obvious damage to the wiring. I've got a new one on order from the dealer, should have it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Oak Jun 29th, 2020 16:10

I had the same issue too!

My READ/OK AND the scroll didn't work. Replaced with a second hand stalk (from eBay) and scroll now works but READ/OK STILL doesn't! I did take my originals apart and couldn't find an issue either.

I probably need to bite the bullet and order a new stalk too!

Please do update if this solves your issue - I'd be more tempted to buy a stalk, I don't want to buy another just in case my issue lies somewhere else!

js7799 Jul 11th, 2020 18:16

Update: I ended up getting a second hand indicator stalk off of eBay for £14. Swapped it out and all is well now.