Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40: Not blowing air to windshield (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=223535)

mao Feb 11th, 2015 10:06

Not blowing air to windshield

Volvo v40 2001

Very weakly blowing to windshield driver side and passenger side does not blow at all. When turning knob to other position for example footwell air blowing strongly !

baldmosher Feb 11th, 2015 10:14

Few likely culprits in order of likelihood:

1. the foam seals have perished and/or come loose in the ducting behind the dash - that's a dash out job and is very common as the foam Volvo used is rubbish

2. linkage to flaps motor has broken - again probably a dash out job (not sure) but you can gain access to some of the mechanisms without

3. cabin air filter is clogged and needs changing - least likely, but easiest job, needs to be done annually especially if you drive around town with lots of diesel fumes clogging things up

With those symptoms I'd reckon it's 1 - dash out is a 2-3hr job with someone who knows what they're doing or a 4-8hr job with someone who doesn't.

baldmosher Feb 11th, 2015 10:18

search for "poor windscreen demist" on here and you'll see loads of people have the same problem

mao Feb 11th, 2015 11:15

"search for "poor windscreen demist" on here and you'll see loads of people have the same problem"

Yes I searched and read in forum - all complaining the problem but no fix.

Is there any dash out removal instruction ?

pierremcalpine Feb 11th, 2015 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by mao (Post 1847597)
"search for "poor windscreen demist" on here and you'll see loads of people have the same problem"

Yes I searched and read in forum - all complaining the problem but no fix.

Is there any dash out removal instruction ?

I just emailed a full set of VIDA dash out instructions to someone earlier this week. Send me your email and I can throw the instructions your way. Make sure you have some beer in the house for when you are done. This looks like a long job.

310den Feb 11th, 2015 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 1847610)
I just emailed a full set of VIDA dash out instructions to someone earlier this week. Send me your email and I can throw the instructions your way. Make sure you have some beer in the house for when you are done. This looks like a long job.

Can you do the same for me please as after reading this thread I have realised that my airflow to the windcsreen is very poor, even with blower on 5. I will PM my email to you.
Thank you.

mao Feb 11th, 2015 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 1847610)

Ok thaks.

Also i took off radio and noticed that behind radio blowing air - no matter what position the knob is ?

I took a picture :

http://www.upload.ee/thumb/4515266/WP_20150211_003.jpg

baldmosher Feb 11th, 2015 13:37

That's the air that should be going up to the windscreen!

(If the blower is on 0 then it shouldn't be blowing at all though.....)

baldmosher Feb 11th, 2015 13:41

If you read through my thread "poor windscreen demist" (yes it is long, sorry) somewhere there is a link to another long thread that someone created on how to remove & refit the dash.

The VIDA instructions will be ideal but it always helps to have photos.

I recall that the author of the guide mentioned that half the time was spent "marvelling at how well everything was put together".

mao Feb 11th, 2015 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldmosher (Post 1847663)
That's the air that should be going up to the windscreen!

(If the blower is on 0 then it shouldn't be blowing at all though.....)

Yes blower speed 0 not bolwing.

I mean another knob position - windscreen or footwell :)