Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Oncoming Lane Mitigation - Country lanes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295893)

jryoung Jun 20th, 2019 14:29

Oncoming Lane Mitigation - Country lanes

Hi,
I am looking to order a new XC40 soon.
does the oncoming lane mitigation interfere with country lane driving, where either the lane is wide enough for a close pass, or where you have to pull over to let someone pass?
Does the technology rely on white lines or will it start getting jumpy when driving down narrow roads with hedges etc and no markings?

inchindown Jun 21st, 2019 07:30

As far as I can tell, it only uses white lines for lane control on all roads. When there are no lines, the lane control indicator goes out and you lose this function.

844PHW Jun 21st, 2019 08:34

There is an option on the touch screen to temporarily disable lane departure mitigation should it prove annoying along some stretch of road.

There is also collision mitigation to consider. It sometimes seems over cautious. However, I don't find the loud bell occasionally dinging at me a problem

jryoung Jun 21st, 2019 16:19

Great - just placed the order today, R-Design D4 (for towing)

jamei305 Jun 29th, 2019 11:21

Oncoming lane mitigation only works above 60KM/h, and it only activates where you have let your car drift across a clearly marked line into the path of another vehicle.

I can't see how it would interfere with normal country lane driving.

844PHW Jun 30th, 2019 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamei305 (Post 2532324)
..... and it only activates where you have let your car drift across a clearly marked line into the path of another vehicle.

I don't think it actually has to be into the path of another vehicle - merely crossiing the line is sufficient. Also it will activate as you approach the line. It will try quite hard to prevent you crossing over.

I earlier mentioned the car dinging at me sometimes. On reading the manual more closely, this seems to be City Safety detecting a possible oncoming cross traffic collision on a bendy road. In this case a collision is unlikely of course as the traffic is just following the line of the road (assuming the other vehicle negotiates the bend correctly).

jamei305 Jun 30th, 2019 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 844PHW (Post 2532524)
I don't think it actually has to be into the path of another vehicle - merely crossiing the line is sufficient. Also it will activate as you approach the line. It will try quite hard to prevent you crossing over.

Perhaps you're thinking of Lane Keeping Aid, which is a different system, and somewhat less assertive in its outputs. You shouldn't see Oncoming Lane Mitigation activated unless you're about to have a serious collision.

844PHW Jul 1st, 2019 16:10

Yes, that looks like Lane Keeping Aid and previously, before encountering it, I had not thought of myself as apparently such a slack driver. All these things come under the City Safety umbrella, so my account of the car's City Safety system dinging at me could well be the Oncoming Lane Mitigation system getting a bit over cautious. It can be triggered by coming over the brow of a hill as well as around a sharp bend (or does it need both together - I'm not sure).

844PHW Jul 2nd, 2019 08:30

It has occurred to me that in the above account of my experience, the key factor is that the car was over the centre line of the road because there were parked cars occupying the left edge of the road. Most of the time it is ok, but sudden changes seem to briefly trigger the alarm. (And yes it is a more hazardous situation than most).

Does all this gadgetry reduce the likelihood of an accident? Probably.