Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   engine system service required!? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107167)

robg Oct 17th, 2010 16:58

engine system service required!?

Driving along the M4 today, half way back to Essex from Bath. Just gone over 1000 miles from new in my D5, 2 weeks old. For no apparent reason "engine system service required" popped up on the display. The cruise control then would not switch on.

Once nearer home i stopped, turned all off and started again. Cruise control now working, but the warning came straight up once engine running.

Now at home an hour or two later i have started the car up and the message has cleared itself.

Has anyone else had this ever? I guess i should check with the dealer for advice in the morning.

Rob

Daleman Oct 17th, 2010 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 760439)
Driving along the M4 today, half way back to Essex from Bath. Just gone over 1000 miles from new in my D5, 2 weeks old. For no apparent reason "engine system service require" popped up on the display. The cruise control then would not switch on.

Once nearer home i stopped, turned all off and started again. Cruise control now working, but the warning came straight up once engine running.

Now at home an hour or two later i have started the car up and the message has cleared itself.

Has anyone else had this ever? I guess i should check with the dealer for advice in the morning.

Rob

Yes this happened to me once at about 400 miles and once at 2000 miles and it seems to be something to do with the DPF regeneration occurring on a relatively short trip .It does seem to clear itself like you say and be ok. I try to do a fair few long runs where I am sure the regeneration happens without the message so you never know.

wilbydoughboy Oct 17th, 2010 23:19

These are the teething problems that many owners have with a new car and are probably nothing to worry about but as with any message displayed it plays on the mind. I had an air bag message on my display that had me worried but was easily dealed with by my local dealer.

dentalan Nov 29th, 2010 07:00

The same here

I just had this message on my XC60 D5, at 50.000 km. one week before I had on Volvo to change the oil and they washed the engine too. I suspect that it has to do with that. I am taking it to volvo today.
I 'll keep you updated.

155mph Nov 29th, 2010 10:10

Get it in to a dealer as soon as practically possible. They will be able to read the fault code and diagnose.

dentalan Nov 29th, 2010 16:34

The problem, as the dealer says, it is from the level of oil. There is a problem with the microfilter (filter for micro particles on the exhaust), and as a result, the oil level is increasing.
They had a software update some months ago for this, but it didn't help the way they thought it should.
There is also another case that the sensor is bad. I left it there to check it better.

r-designbob Nov 30th, 2010 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentalan (Post 787430)
The problem, as the dealer says, it is from the level of oil. There is a problem with the microfilter (filter for micro particles on the exhaust), and as a result, the oil level is increasing.
They had a software update some months ago for this, but it didn't help the way they thought it should.
There is also another case that the sensor is bad. I left it there to check it better.

Google - DPF.

rkennedy Dec 13th, 2010 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 760439)
Driving along the M4 today, half way back to Essex from Bath. Just gone over 1000 miles from new in my D5, 2 weeks old. For no apparent reason "engine system service required" popped up on the display. The cruise control then would not switch on.

Rob

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions now - spoke with the dealer who said that as long as the engine is running ok with no other issues it will be ok. This warning comes up when you restart after shutting down the engine, say at a fuel station. It would appear that this happens if you shutdown the engine in the middle of a regeneration cycle.
However, recently the "engine service required" came up again but this time the engine went into "limp home" mode - in the middle of rush hour traffic in Dundee. Switched off and restarted the engine - everything running fine again. If this had happened to someone with no mechanical experience (I am an engineer) this could have been quite frightening.
I have subsequently received notification from my dealer to say my car is subject to Volvo recall R29149. This is regarding an ECM software update (another one!) to correct the oil dilution issue. This is the first time I have received a recall for this ongoing fault and I have never had an issue with rising oil levels. I have now booked a visit next month to have the software updated - dealer stated that this update was to correct the very issue I have highlighted above.
Has anyone else received notification for this recall number?

scotgc Dec 14th, 2010 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkennedy (Post 797213)
This has happened to me on a couple of occasions now - spoke with the dealer who said that as long as the engine is running ok with no other issues it will be ok. This warning comes up when you restart after shutting down the engine, say at a fuel station. It would appear that this happens if you shutdown the engine in the middle of a regeneration cycle.
However, recently the "engine service required" came up again but this time the engine went into "limp home" mode - in the middle of rush hour traffic in Dundee. Switched off and restarted the engine - everything running fine again. If this had happened to someone with no mechanical experience (I am an engineer) this could have been quite frightening.
I have subsequently received notification from my dealer to say my car is subject to Volvo recall R29149. This is regarding an ECM software update (another one!) to correct the oil dilution issue. This is the first time I have received a recall for this ongoing fault and I have never had an issue with rising oil levels. I have now booked a visit next month to have the software updated - dealer stated that this update was to correct the very issue I have highlighted above.
Has anyone else received notification for this recall number?

What model and year is your car?

rkennedy Dec 14th, 2010 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotgc (Post 797301)
What model and year is your car?

2010 XC60 2.4 DrivE S