Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ticking noise, poss recent injector? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307398)

Bashy Jul 13th, 2020 02:31

Now that the parts finally arrived i managed to refit the injector and no more diesel smell so the leak is fixed, no more "misfiring" on the 1st start of the day.

However, i tried to start it yesterday morning after not being started for one full day, (ie 2nd day) and i still took a good few turns maybe 8 before it fired up.

The dog walk is only 1 mile from home, if i only use the car for that, then its a slow start the next morning (fast turn overs mind just slow to take)

Now, if after the walk i take it up the road about another mile or so turn round and head home (engine is up to full temp so gauge says) then the next day it fires up on the 2nd or 3rd engine turn over.

Its as though the diesel is losing pressure perhaps or draining out of the pipes? another injector leaking back? need to run that test again i think.

Or could it be something simple as the fuel filter needing renewing?

Anyhoo, it looks like replacing injector 1 cured the misfiring but didnt cure the excessive turnovers, to start it, so looks like they were 2 separate issues

Anubisxc70 Jul 13th, 2020 11:45

Hello
I guess to the time it takes to fire up ...i guess you already gave the answer
If i were you i would change the fuel filter and see. Check the glow plugs. Doing just one mile ...well it doesn't help either.
Put some shell diesel and go for a drive on the weekend. Do once in a wile some step downs to see if there is smoke and if your turbo is on a good mood.

Bashy Jul 14th, 2020 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2646957)
Hello
I guess to the time it takes to fire up ...i guess you already gave the answer
If i were you i would change the fuel filter and see. Check the glow plugs. Doing just one mile ...well it doesn't help either.
Put some shell diesel and go for a drive on the weekend. Do once in a wile some step downs to see if there is smoke and if your turbo is on a good mood.

Thanks, never noticed any smoke, i do tickle the car more often than not, so hard not to, shes a quick wardrobe lol

I will order the fuel filter today, i spose i will need to buy the tool too?

Stellaman94 Jul 14th, 2020 19:14

When you refitted that new injector did it cure the ticking you had?

I'm in the same boat as you, I replaced 3 duff injectors with new seals. The car makes a weird clacking noise, this was even before the change but then again I heard when you change at least one injector it's best to change the others as they can apparently begin to fail shortly afterwards.

Bashy Jul 15th, 2020 03:01

HI, yes, refitting with new clamp, copper and bolts from Volvo, under £24 cured that weird noise, there was a small amount of diesel escaping, you can probably smell it, you could try bending the clamps some so that they apply more downward force, i heard about doing that in a video more i thought seen as its already leaking, i might as well get the correct washer (inner is much tighter) and clamp

Anubisxc70 Jul 15th, 2020 08:09

My ones also smell at diesel bending the clamps usually makes a big difference on the sound of the injectors. But usually around 80% of the times the smell of diesel is from the feeder pipes. By the book they should be changed if disturbed. My ones was the pipes.

As we tight them that junctions will get poor and leaks will appear. So when doing the injectors if you dont replace the pipes do them before tight the injectors, like that you will have a better seal....

Stellaman94 Jul 15th, 2020 18:39

I attempted to bend an injector clamp in a vice with a spanner wedged in it but it felt like it was going to snap, I'd like to see a video on it personally because how some people word things can be misinterpreted.

Bashy Jul 17th, 2020 02:57

Seemed like more trouble than it was worth (bending them) hence why I just opted for new, cured my smell of diesel and noise form it

Stellaman94 Jul 17th, 2020 20:39

I've got no diesel smell or leak, it's just the injectors or whatever it is that makes some odd clacking noise over the generic knock.

Bashy Jul 18th, 2020 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellaman94 (Post 2648201)
I've got no diesel smell or leak, it's just the injectors or whatever it is that makes some odd clacking noise over the generic knock.

Perhaps yours is the washer and not the clamp or vice versa, using the official reftting kit cure both the clacking and smell for me