Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Whooshing/whistle from driver side of car when accelerating (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220570)

12345 Dec 27th, 2014 12:50

Whooshing/whistle from driver side of car when accelerating

Hi

I get a whooshing/whistling noise on acceleration from the driver side of the engine. I could understand if the air filter is in that side of the car but it's on the other.

It sounds like an induction noise. It can only be heard when in drive. I've tried revving the engine in park with the bonnet up but it doesn't make the sound.

Does the turbo spin up when revving if it's not in drive ?

The noise reminds me of the induction roar from a k and n filter.
I've checked the intercooler and pipes but there is nothing obvious and it's annoying I can't get it to make the noise with the bonnet up stationery.

Is it something to worry about or is it normal ? Otherwise the car seems fine, mpg is 28 mpg and pulls fine with no black smoke.

Any advice would be appreciated.

owenfackrell Dec 27th, 2014 15:08

The turbo will spin but it won't be under any load. Noises like this are so anoying to try and find. My wife's car has a vibration at certain reves when driving only. The turbo does whistle under load or at least mine does. If it's not really anoying you then just monitor the car for any signs of trouble such as black smoke or a drop in mpg.

Argyllt6 Dec 27th, 2014 16:26

I'd start by checking the turbo hose pipes and all jubilee clips first. Making sure that there is no splits leaks.

Chesney46 Dec 28th, 2014 16:38

Mine makes a lovely whooshy noise due to a split intercooler. Mines gone at the bottom, easy to spot due the dirt and oil around it.
If the pipes are ok check the cooler. £250 from Volvo or a pattern part from eBay is £90. Not too bad to change either.

12345 Dec 28th, 2014 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesney46 (Post 1812419)
Mine makes a lovely whooshy noise due to a split intercooler. Mines gone at the bottom, easy to spot due the dirt and oil around it.
If the pipes are ok check the cooler. £250 from Volvo or a pattern part from eBay is £90. Not too bad to change either.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked around the intercooler as much as I can from underneath the bonnet and there's no oil. Does yours whoosh if you Rev it in park or only when your driving like mine ?

Thanks

Chesney46 Dec 28th, 2014 16:51

When driving, usually when max boost is (about 2500 upwards). It also has a lack of power lower in the rev range and occasionally smokes quite a lot when I get a "Engine service required" message on the dash (due to a lack of boost, the sensor throws a hissy fit).

12345 Dec 28th, 2014 22:50

Mine whooshs from stand still. No smoke and no error messages.

12345 Jan 3rd, 2015 21:45

Update

Took it to a local Indy Friday and they said they couldn't hear the noise and it was fine.
Today, engine service warning, limo mode, big turbine whoosh when revved.

Convinced the Rac to remove the under tray (he didn't want to as it was big and heavy).
The resonator to the turbo had come away. The top orange seal had a split and the big plastic pipe that goes under the sump from the intercooler to the turbo's bracket has broken as well.
All this was mentioned in a thread I had read last week.

So got the car flatbedded to a local garage now waiting until Monday to order bits from Volvo.

The lesson is, if you hear a induction whoosh that doesn't sound like a turbo normally does , check the resonator as it could be a common problem as our cars get older.

Chesney46 Jan 4th, 2015 16:59

At least you've found the cause now. Hope the repair goes ok.

Clan Jan 4th, 2015 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345 (Post 1817675)
Took it to a local Indy Friday and they said they couldn't hear the noise and it was fine.
Today, engine service warning, limo mode, big turbine whoosh when revved.

Convinced the Rac to remove the under tray (he didn't want to as it was big and heavy).
The resonator to the turbo had come away. The top orange seal had a split and the big plastic pipe that goes under the sump from the intercooler to the turbo's bracket has broken as well.
All this was mentioned in a thread I had read last week.

So got the car flatbedded to a local garage now waiting until Monday to order bits from Volvo.

The lesson is, if you hear a induction whoosh that doesn't sound like a turbo normally does , check the resonator as it could be a common problem as our cars get older.

Make sure they clean the rubber pipe and end of the turbo with brake cleaner to get all the oil off before fitting the new pipe otherwise it could blow off and break your expensive new pipe again! . The tip is to use brake cleaner later to lubricate the rubber sleeve to help the pipe on .. they have to be quick as the brake cleaner evaporates after about 10 seconds , It takes an experienced hand to get this right .