Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   40 Series recalls (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8892)

Bob Feb 1st, 2004 14:04

40 Series recalls

All S40 and V40 series cars that are Model Year 2003/4 are being recalled. This only affects the petrol engine versions, as there is a *possible* fuel leak issue. Owners are being contacted by thier Volvo dealers to have the cars checked. If you have not yet been informed then contact your dealer.

Note: There is no safety issue with this.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk

joe90 Feb 4th, 2004 04:08

RE: 40 Series recalls

I don't know whether or not this is the same problem.

A few weeks before Christmas whilst picking my daughter up, I began to smell fuel, as I was only half a mile from home (foolishly) I decided to continue. I made it home, parked on he drive, left the engine running and lifted the bonnet. I was imediately covered in a fine sparay of atomised fuel. I quickly switched the engine off. On closer inspection I found the the end of the high pressure fuel rail (2.0T) had blown off. The engine compartment was awash with neat fuel. I count myself as extremely lucky that it had not founds its way to the turbo !!!

If it is the same problem then how can Volvo say it is NOT a safety issue ?

joe90 Feb 6th, 2004 01:31

I received the Volvo recall notification today and YES, it is the same problem that I experienced before Christmas.

What is really disturbing though, is that the notification states that Volvo are not aware of any instances where this problem has become an issue. As my vehicle was off the road for a number of days and Volvo picked-up the hire car costs under warranty. I am amazed that they can make such claims.

I would advise anyone with an affected vehicle to take it immediately to your dealer and have it checked.

joe90 Feb 12th, 2004 01:27

Further Update

The wording of there recall campaign letter and press relseases make it sound like a dripping tap. When in fact, failure of the drain valve on the end of the fuel rail results in atomised fuel being sprayed around the engine compartment under high pressure.

After writing to Volvo Customer Services, I received a telephone call from them. Apparantly because no vehicles have actually caught fire (yet) They can "honestly claim that no incidents have occured" her words, not mine!

mdjohnst May 31st, 2004 12:27

Hi

Is this all petrol models or just a selected range.?

Thanks

Matt

webbie Aug 2nd, 2004 19:15

my 2003 V40 2.0 T was affected by this, but I checked today and it had already been recalled and rectified before I purchsed it.

Jimny33 Apr 21st, 2005 17:41

Is it all the petrol cars then or just the turbos?

Multiplex Aug 26th, 2005 16:37

Any petrol engine with the plastic fuel rail could be affectes i lam lead to beleve.

Rin Feb 5th, 2006 19:35

2004 S40 BF Goodrich Tire Problem

I have 27,000 miles on my 04 S40 and since day 1 I have complained about my car pulling to the right. The steering wheel also shakes. The dealer tells me it is the tires causing the problem and that it is a known issue with BFGoodrich and S40s. and I need to take this up with BFGoodrich. I've "Googled" this with no hits....have you heard of this issue? I would like to get it resolved b4 my 30K mile warranty expires.

J2R Mar 10th, 2006 16:33

S40 Recalls

Does this affect '02 Models?

COBRA31 Mar 27th, 2006 07:56

the car pulling to the right never heard of tyres causing this? it could be a few things in fact:-
1. binding brake need to get the guide pins checked.
2. tracking
3. bent tierod arm.
4. bent wishbone.
5. bent hub
by the way i had all this on my 440gle hope this helps and dont take any rubbish from the the garage.

lexsewell Dec 28th, 2006 19:37

fuel leaks

Glad to hear about possible leaks.I'll be having our 03 v40 checked.
I swapped the battery out and do not have the stereo code.Can anyone help?

samott Jan 4th, 2007 12:22

V40 Recall

V/S 40 were recalled in Denmark two years ago for the described problem !

regards

Terence28 Jan 31st, 2007 11:03

Grateful for some advice on this one.

I have a 2003 (53) S40 2.0 T Sport (not new shape). I spoke to my local dealer (Stratstone Cardiff - not impressed with them so far) yesterday about this matter and was categorically told that there have not been any recalls on my car. I really pushed this with the chap I spoke to as, according to my understanding of Bob's initial posting, my car should have been recalled, but he told me that this was definately not the case.

Can anyone help or suggest a way forward. Is the problem only with the newer shape?

Thanks,

MattySA Jul 6th, 2007 17:44

hey

I would advise you to get hold of another volvo dealer and get a second opinion . Try Tollbar Twickenham Volvo 02086140000 , thats the number and I take my car there and they are really first class. It may be along way from where you live but if your car is affected they will tell you over the phone and tell you who to go to and they will send a work order to that dealer. For a dealer to not tell you about a fault like that and it turns out there is one you should complain because thats completly unacceptable.

lenny Sep 24th, 2008 17:57

2000 T4 front suspension recall???

Hi am new here and have bought a s40 t4 which i love but have a knocking on drivers side around suspension area. Was told that volvo recalled it which the bloke before should of done it before but i dont know what needs replacing. Had some mecanhic look over it and can't see what it is.......any help???? Thanks

foxhole Nov 4th, 2008 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny (Post 407621)
Hi am new here and have bought a s40 t4 which i love but have a knocking on drivers side around suspension area. Was told that volvo recalled it which the bloke before should of done it before but i dont know what needs replacing. Had some mecanhic look over it and can't see what it is.......any help???? Thanks

Knocking at front is often loose or worn tie bar assembly.

gskm Mar 28th, 2009 20:27

I have received a letter from volvo about an outstanding technical update for my 53 plate V40, though it is diesel. I have no idea what it is about, so I gues I shall have to ring them

gskm

Dandle Jun 24th, 2009 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny (Post 407621)

Look at the upper engine mount first thet always wears out and quicker on T4s. If that's ok then look at the suspension.

dunlop Jul 29th, 2009 23:36

Knocking around suspension area

Check bottom ball joint

morrismen Dec 1st, 2012 11:44

Hi all. Here is a great source of recall info (V40 has six): http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...olvo&makeId=E9
You need to know your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to see which applies. Hope this helps.

v40alex Oct 20th, 2013 14:38

I just tried following the link above but it has changed, you can now find the recall info at
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...=E9&lowIndex=0

My V40 last saw a main dealer in 2005 so I'm fairly sure anything would have been done if needed. Does anybody contact Volvo to register second hand cars? I've seen the change of ownership form in the handbook but never filled one in.

bigboz Nov 12th, 2013 13:38

Cars can be sensative to tyres

gsd Jun 21st, 2015 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by v40alex (Post 1503433)
I just tried following the link above but it has changed, you can now find the recall info at
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...=E9&lowIndex=0

My V40 last saw a main dealer in 2005 so I'm fairly sure anything would have been done if needed. Does anybody contact Volvo to register second hand cars? I've seen the change of ownership form in the handbook but never filled one in.

Thank you for the link v40alex :thumbs_up:

FastBricks Jul 19th, 2016 11:44

Hello I am the second owner of my Volvo and it is a 2003 petrol 2.0 sport V40 which would fall into that category of racalls. I notice fuel smell in the boot area and occasionally there is some wet/ condensation under the rear seat where the fuel tank and pump sits.

I am nowhere near the original dealer so do you know if my local Volvo dealer has an obligation to take this in and would it be free for me as a second hand owner since 2012?

FastBricks Jul 19th, 2016 18:01

I spoke to a local dealer who said mine was done when services according to a national recall database. Never heard of such database but i don't think the would lie about it so I'm happy. Thanks for posting this.

Euxhen Nov 9th, 2022 12:57

Upgrading my phase 1 ‘96 S40 to a phase 2 one

Hello Volvo Community

I am new here and i dont know how really this site works for now.
I have two Volvos for the moment : ‘96 2.0i S40 / ‘03 2.5T XC90
My father has bought S40 since 2002 and its been at our family since then, but like every 20s boys i want to make our S40 more beauty and stylish.
I want to upgrade it to a phase 2 model in interior and exterior.
What should i look for, because i’ve seen in many groups that are some problems expecially in exterior things.

I would be very greatful for your advices !
Ps: Sorry if i’ve made any mistake in writting english 😂

Ashash Apr 12th, 2023 14:34

S40 recall

Just seen this message (12/4/23!) I never received any contact from Volvo! Haven’t seen any recall notices when I have entered it’s details in the gov page for MOT details etc & when I checked on a Volvo site. What’s the exact details of the recall? Can I still take my Volvo into a dealer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 47915)
All S40 and V40 series cars that are Model Year 2003/4 are being recalled. This only affects the petrol engine versions, as there is a *possible* fuel leak issue. Owners are being contacted by thier Volvo dealers to have the cars checked. If you have not yet been informed then contact your dealer.

Note: There is no safety issue with this.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk

Ashash Apr 12th, 2023 14:42

A I though I bought it in March / April 2004, so assume Volvo would have known about this issue and checked it?