Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   B4 AWD Diesel or B5 AWD Petrol (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315874)

m2srt Apr 8th, 2021 09:25

B4 AWD Diesel or B5 AWD Petrol

My wife and I will be moving permanently to Europe this June and have decided not to take my wife's XC60 B4 AWD with us due to my wife thinking that she may struggle with a RHD vehicle. So we will be replacing her MY20 with a MY22 XC60. Using the Polish configurator, I was a bit gutted to see that Osmium Grey has been ditched along with several leather colours. I have configured her spec, power sear option gives you passenger side memory too! I am just trying to decide which engine to spec. Her current B4 has had the 'oil rising' issue as well as rocker cover seal go, so wasn't faultless but is an excellent cruiser and returns decent MPG figures. From my understanding the particulate filter on the B5 petrol isn't as active as the Diesel version so, even though I've heard about 'oil rising' in the B5 it doesn't concern me as much. What does concern me, especially as Diesel is actually cheaper at the pump in Poland, is the B5's thirst! Could someone give me some real world insight into this please? Many thanks.

ripstandem Apr 8th, 2021 12:41

Congratulations

Leaving HX5. I'm sure the only way is up.
Good luck.
I wish I could get my wife to leave for pastures new.

m2srt Apr 8th, 2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripstandem (Post 2726859)
Good luck.

UK damp doesn't do many favors for me. So a new adventure awaits!

Cull06 Apr 8th, 2021 14:05

What sort of mileage and journeys will you be doing

Tony Harrison Apr 8th, 2021 14:37

Quote:

I'm sure you don't actually mean that?

Re using a RHD car overseas, I ran a personal export RHD Simca (remember?) in Istanbul throughout 1974 and survived intact despite the chaotic traffic (which we were supposed to sort out!). We drove it out there in December 1973 but a year later returned via the deck of a Turkish Maritime Lines boat to Marseille, where the lovely French customs took it apart looking for drugs. I had to put it back together again.

I wish you the very best on your new adventure m2srt.

m2srt Apr 8th, 2021 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Harrison (Post 2726880)
I'm sure you don't actually mean that?

Re using a RHD car overseas, I ran a personal export RHD Simca (remember?) in Istanbul throughout 1974 and survived intact despite the chaotic traffic (which we were supposed to sort out!). We drove it out there in December 1973 but a year later returned via the deck of a Turkish Maritime Lines boat to Marseille, where the lovely French customs took it apart looking for drugs. I had to put it back together again.

I wish you the very best on your new adventure m2srt.

I agree with you completely which is why I'm Taking my X5 with me. It's just a case of fitting European headlights and registering it in Poland should not be an issue.. My wife on the other hand didn't like driving her XC60 out there last year and feels that she would be safer with a LHD car. So I'm sticking with the tried and tested adage 'happy wife, peaceful life!'

Thank you for the wishes, The Volvo Owners Forum is perhaps the friendliest motoring forum on the 'net.

m2srt Apr 8th, 2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2726872)
What sort of mileage and journeys will you be doing

I reckon around 15000 miles a year with mixed driving. 60% town 40% motorway (140kph speed limit on polish motorways).

Cull06 Apr 8th, 2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by m2srt (Post 2726935)
I reckon around 15000 miles a year with mixed driving. 60% town 40% motorway (140kph speed limit on polish motorways).

Well to me that would say diesel. All the more so if diesel is indeed cheaper than petrol in Poland..!

No brainer for me...

mark2410 Apr 9th, 2021 20:39

from what my polish friend has told me about cars in poland they are really limited in spec options compared to uk but the way around it is buy one from germany instead. Apparently in germany near the boarder its quite a common thing to do.

Malcolm Rouchy Apr 10th, 2021 07:48

Quote:

Good luck.

I just moved back to UK last month after 27 years in South Africa, why?

(1) There is a law going through parliament at the moment to confiscate private property and refusing to pay compensation. My wife and I owned a 2 acre small holding which could be one of the type of properties confiscated by the government. That when the wife and I decided to leave.

(2) Medical bills. Although we had medical aid, it didnt cover all medical expenses. I had a minor stroke and needed a CT scan, that cost me R11,000 or over £500, a visit to the doctor was over R500 or £23, medication cost me over R2000 or over £95 a month, a two week stay in hospital with pneumonia cost me over £1000. All of those costs are after medical aid paid their bit. The above costs may not sound much, but that was a huge lump out of my UK pension. Now I'm back in UK all of my medication is free as is medical treatment.

I paid my dues and served in the military for 20 years before moving to South Africa, I am not a scrounger unlike those crossing the English Channel who have paid nothing into or did anything for this country.

There are problems within this country, but there is nowhere I'd rather be. All we need now are politicians to do what they promised and get rid of idiots like the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan

The grass is not always greener on the other side.