Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Front shocks (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261218)

Jensencars Dec 23rd, 2016 15:44

Front shocks

Hi all,
Happy Xmas
I have just had a health check at my local volvo dealer (free of course)
They have identified that the o/s/f shock absorber is a bit soft/bouncy
I intend to change it myself in the near future just wondered what shocks you would recommend I use as there is a bit of selection out there.

Tannaton Dec 23rd, 2016 19:17

I used SACHS which are the OEM manufacturer, they were £180 a set on e-bay. You really should change both the fronts at the same time.

bobdabuilda Dec 24th, 2016 19:10

I used Monroe and they've been fine

aslan Apr 16th, 2017 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensencars (Post 2212593)
I have just had a health check at my local volvo dealer (free of course) They have identified that the o/s/f shock absorber is a bit soft/bouncy

How does one identify a soft front absorber on an XC90? I have 106k miles on my 2.5T. No leaking. Is mileage a good indicator as to when to replace the shocks for a better ride?

maxiz1 Apr 30th, 2017 11:57

When you feel the ride quality is worsening. Try imagining you're riding on springs. The XC90 is a heavy and long enough car that you could notice the effect of worn shocks. When mine was shot, it causes me headache when driving through bumps.

jamesholley Sep 13th, 2019 15:56

Just bringing up an old thread here guys.

Just had my XC90 2006 3.2 petrol serviced and I asked the garage to investigate a knock when I press the accelerator pedal.

The feedback on this investigation was that the front suspension was "weak" and that I should pencil in replacing these within the next year. He also suggested the suspension arms as well, to firm up the front and improve the ride, and I assume stop the knock.

It looks like an expensive one with four hours labour into the mix.

I should have asked more questions as it was MOT'd on the same day and there was no mention in the advisories on the suspension, which left me scratching my head.

Assuming I go ahead and get this work done, what is the difference in price between OEM parts and AM parts and what are peoples experiences of cheaper AM parts if fitted?

ianu Sep 16th, 2019 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesholley (Post 2553520)
Just bringing up an old thread here guys.

Just had my XC90 2006 3.2 petrol serviced and I asked the garage to investigate a knock when I press the accelerator pedal.

The feedback on this investigation was that the front suspension was "weak" and that I should pencil in replacing these within the next year. He also suggested the suspension arms as well, to firm up the front and improve the ride, and I assume stop the knock.

It looks like an expensive one with four hours labour into the mix.

I should have asked more questions as it was MOT'd on the same day and there was no mention in the advisories on the suspension, which left me scratching my head.

Assuming I go ahead and get this work done, what is the difference in price between OEM parts and AM parts and what are peoples experiences of cheaper AM parts if fitted?

OEM all day long - false economy in the long run especially for suspension arms and bushes - not sure about shocks though..

oragex Sep 18th, 2019 08:28

You can go AM with the brands that actually make the parts for Volvo. Suspension wise, usually Sachs, Lemforder. Control arms, Volvo may be selling the bushes alone if you have a place that can press them in - the best option (and actually the cheapest too)

You will also need to replace the spring seats (Sachs or Rein/CRP)