Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking for another V70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307603)

V70Moss Jul 5th, 2020 20:00

Looking for another V70

Hi all, I'm on the lookout for another V70.

Two that have caught my eye are a 2.5 20v Petrol or the 2.5 TDI engine.

Which one is the better engine? Having had mostly turbo models in the past is the 2.5 20V underpowered?

I am more of a petrol head than a diesel fan, but would consider a diesel as it'll be no doubt better on fuel.

Its going to be a third car for throwing the dog in the back, camping trips etc.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

capt jack Jul 5th, 2020 20:37

Petrol would get my vote. In terms of mpg I’m not sure there’s really a huge difference between the two. The diesel is an Audi unit as fitted to A6 cars of the era. My understanding is that these engines are complex and expensive to service and repair. A neighbour of mine had an A6 of that vintage, and a cambelt change came in at £1000 - and that was ten years ago.

Jack

Iceonfire Jul 5th, 2020 20:39

My old VW T4 with the same Diesel engine in had 270,000 miles on it when I sold it. Good strong lumps and good on fuel by all accounts. I have a Volvo sitting in my rear yard. Bought it with great intentions about a year ago, but just haven’t had much time to to do anything to it for some time. Maybe one day.

V70Moss Jul 5th, 2020 20:46

Thanks for the replies, I never knew the diesels were the VAG units, I remember our old service van T4 had that 5 cylinder lump in them and pretty powerful for a van, so I would imagine in V70 form they pull well.

Hmm decisions,

What volvo have you got sitting in your yard? if your looking to part with it PM me some details, I like a good project. :teeth_smile:Thanks

amazondean Jul 5th, 2020 21:10

The diesel is way better on fuel than any petrol variant. And values are going up because they are now getting very rare. Especially on top spec! Servicing is very cheap, as you only need oil, oil filter air filter and fuel filter for a basic service.

To change the belts and tensioners is around £350 including parts and labour at a garage so not sure why someone quoted £1000!!

It would be my option any day.

Iceonfire Jul 5th, 2020 21:19

It’s the old classic shape, 2.5D, but it’s a project alright. Needs a rear door, M.O.T, registered in the UK as it was an import and the interior is past its best and going mouldy. I replaced the front flexi brake hoses and flushed fresh fluid through, found some very good replacement headlights as the reflectors were shot, then ran out of time and motivation is waning now. Hopefully it will return soon.

V70Moss Jul 5th, 2020 21:24

Okay so i'm being swayed by the diesel engine. Its is a V70 Classic variant, spec wise is this middle of the road?

amazondean Jul 5th, 2020 22:06

The CD model is top spec. However, they are so thin on the ground that I wouldn't wait to find a top spec. Any spec will do as long as it's been looked after. Prices are between £800 and £1500 depending on how knowledgable the seller is!!

rudi dudi Jul 5th, 2020 22:14

@ Amazondean just curious why you seem to think The tdi is rare.
They come up for sale on a fairly regular basis.
I've bought 2 in the last fortnight to join the 5 I already have.
The 850 is a bit rarer in the Tdi but not the 70.

amazondean Jul 5th, 2020 22:39

Well the 850 diesel is about extinct, so I would say they are extremely rare. Considering there are always plenty of early V70s available, count how many are diesels. Then count how many are CD variants. Not many. Then ring up and you will find you are about third on the list to buy it and that's before you know whether it's a good one. so I would say that they are getting a bit thin on the ground!