Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Replacement Key (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271624)

SweetAs Aug 14th, 2017 21:10

Replacement Key

Hi All,

So I just drove the Mrs' 2004 XC90 home and I love it. So comfy, needs a few little tweets but that was all reflected in the price.

The one thing that does suck is the lack of a second key. Does anyone have any up to date prices from dealerships or online companies that carry out home visits? Can they even do anything or do I need to get to a dealership?

I've seen some youtube vids where you can buy parts from eBay but it seems hit and miss whether you can get the dealer to programme the key. Would quite like the memory option if at all possible. It's her first proper car so if I can get it all perfect I'm in for some brownie points :-)

steadvex Aug 14th, 2017 21:43

It's a dealer or indie with vida.

For what it's worth we've had quite a few people buy 'brand new genuine keys' and they might well be, but if they keys don't come new with the security codes no online bought key will be of any use.

Around £275 off the top of my head for a new key im afraid

If you do get a second key it's worth it Imo, memory seats are brilliant if your both driving it!

Harley Dave Aug 15th, 2017 00:48

Tell me more about the memory option.

I assume one key sets the driver seat for first driver and the other key for second driver.

Is this right?

Won't apply to me - Mrs W doesn't drive the Volvo - prefers her Smart

Cheers

Dave

SweetAs Aug 15th, 2017 08:25

Yes Dave that's the idea. I think it also sets the mirrors aswell? Can't be sure untill I can get it set up and I need anot her key for that lol. Guess I will have a ring around the dealers and see what they say

05XC90 Aug 15th, 2017 14:34

A local locksmith has told me that they should be able to cut me a key and programme it for £50. It won't be remote though, but as it's only as a spare I'm probably going to just get that done.

SwissXC90 Aug 15th, 2017 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05XC90 (Post 2308827)
A local locksmith has told me that they should be able to cut me a key and programme it for £50. It won't be remote though, but as it's only as a spare I'm probably going to just get that done.

But the key will not start the car as it will either not have the immobiliser transponder fitted, or the transponder fitted will not be recognised.

Only Volvo can add new transponder codes to the vehicles immobiliser system

The locksmith can cut a key that works in the mechanical locks, but cannot program the vehicle to accept the new transponder code.

Simon Jones Aug 15th, 2017 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05XC90 (Post 2308827)

Let us know how you get on, but do check he offers a money-back guarantee should it not work with the immobiliser.

SweetAs Aug 16th, 2017 20:35

I rang around a bunch of independents yesterday and no one could do it so let me know how you get on!

Cheapest I was quoted was around the £250 mark from a volvo dealer. The rest wanted closer to £350.

I did price it into the price of the vehicle but gutted to be spending another £250 lol

Simon Jones Aug 16th, 2017 20:58

It may be worth seeing if you can contact previous owner(s) in case they have a spare. I got my XC70 from an independent car dealer and it came with 2 fobs which I was pretty pleased with. About a month later, another one turned up in the post and previous owner had handed it in to the garage who then forwarded it on.

Rooster Aug 16th, 2017 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAs (Post 2309306)
I rang around a bunch of independents yesterday and no one could do it so let me know how you get on!

Cheapest I was quoted was around the £250 mark from a volvo dealer. The rest wanted closer to £350.

I did price it into the price of the vehicle but gutted to be spending another £250 lol

£250 for a combined key and fob unit including programming in is dirt cheap and I would be snapping there hand off if previous owner is a no go,

I work at a dealer and it didn't cost me much less and I got them at trade