Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   D5 - no power when kick down (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280846)

NorthantsPete Sep 19th, 2018 09:23

OK tank of vpower done, im convinced its freeing things up - im convinced its the turbo vanes sticking because if you stick at one speed, they lock in and acceleration is poor. I haven't had the problem on a tank of vpower but i have been revving when warm to clear the vanes. Im not going to kill off the idea of ultimate yet as who knows, it could have been running rough due to the cleaning process.
The vpower i would say is really good, so much so the car almost needs holding back when cruising.

theres now a weird lumpy hesitation at 2500rpm, which it think is the sore spot of the vanes that needs clearing

its now got, due to me wanting to check how many miles i got from £25, Esso premium in it and this is also nice fuel, so far its smooth and better than BP, very quiet at 70mph but the cetane i predict is less as theres more revs required lower down the gears.

I think i need to aim for branded fuel and premium.

I will see if the problem returns after a good stunt with these premium fuels with normal branded diesel such as shell eco or esso standard ( as i hear their additive package is still good for maintenance).

Anyone else on premium atm?

FollowingGhosts Sep 19th, 2018 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthantsPete (Post 2449070)
OK tank of vpower done, im convinced its freeing things up - im convinced its the turbo vanes sticking because if you stick at one speed, they lock in and acceleration is poor. I haven't had the problem on a tank of vpower but i have been revving when warm to clear the vanes. Im not going to kill off the idea of ultimate yet as who knows, it could have been running rough due to the cleaning process.
The vpower i would say is really good, so much so the car almost needs holding back when cruising.

theres now a weird lumpy hesitation at 2500rpm, which it think is the sore spot of the vanes that needs clearing

its now got, due to me wanting to check how many miles i got from £25, Esso premium in it and this is also nice fuel, so far its smooth and better than BP, very quiet at 70mph but the cetane i predict is less as theres more revs required lower down the gears.

I think i need to aim for branded fuel and premium.

I will see if the problem returns after a good stunt with these premium fuels with normal branded diesel such as shell eco or esso standard ( as i hear their additive package is still good for maintenance).

Anyone else on premium atm?

This is based on my experience with VAG diesels rather than Volvo, where the Mr Muscle treatment for clogged vanes is something that makes a big difference to how the car drives.

Is the turbo on these vacuum controlled or electronically controlled? With the age of the car, vacuum lines can start to perish and cause problems (one of the problems I had with a VAG 1.9tdi)

The stuff quite a few people swear by is a couple of bottles of Forte Turbo Cleaner mixed with a tank of VPower to really clean things out. It's about 15 quid a bottle but if they're not too bad, it can make the difference.

I always noticed my turbo would start getting grouchy without VPower on the TDI and found that the trade-off between a couple extra mpg and a happier car versus a few more pence at the pump was worth it. I even find their unleaded in a carburetted 500cc bike makes a difference when it's on V-Power.

NorthantsPete Sep 19th, 2018 10:57

Yeah I got to know the value of vpower with the Avensis diesel, it ran rubbish on anything other than premium and the vpower made it bearable to drive.

Good news on the Forte - i ordered some yesterday! I will whack it in with the vpower and then hopefully keep things going

The mr muscle ive heard only really works short term then the issue comes back, so im hoping attacking with Forte and these premiums will keep me in a sweeter spot than running crap fuel full time.

Although that's the theory....

FollowingGhosts Sep 19th, 2018 21:53

I found that I actually had to repeat the Mr Muscle treatment a few times to really dislodge stuff. I could have the job done in 15 minutes with just some actuator wiggling for the following two or three hours by the 3rd round.

There is Innotec turbo cleaner which is heavier duty and involves multiple steps for about £40 which is meant to do the same as the Mr Muscle but a more through job. I've got a kit in the shed but I sold the Skoda before I got round to doing anything with it

I think the Italian tune up goes a long way too. Especially in the autos, the gearbox in mine likes to jump to 6th as soon as it can and just rely on the torque converter

GeirOH Sep 20th, 2018 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthantsPete (Post 2449111)
Yeah I got to know the value of vpower with the Avensis diesel, it ran rubbish on anything other than premium and the vpower made it bearable to drive.

Good news on the Forte - i ordered some yesterday! I will whack it in with the vpower and then hopefully keep things going

The mr muscle ive heard only really works short term then the issue comes back, so im hoping attacking with Forte and these premiums will keep me in a sweeter spot than running crap fuel full time.

Although that's the theory....

I have a S80 D5 and i had the same symptom and after changing some og the sensors the problem was stil there.
Than i open the EGR - that's a really **** quality - it's plastic and it has a huge axial slack so the EGR let the exhaust in all the time - check it if you have the same EGRhttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YF4AA...6h/s-l1600.jpg

NorthantsPete Sep 21st, 2018 08:58

nice one, ill have a check for that.

In other news, after a stop start to the supermarket yesterday, the Esso as failed to keep the problem away this mroning, cruise at 70, then no power after 10 mins driving.

May need to run it full time on Vpower.. .await the forte arriving too.

seanc Sep 22nd, 2018 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by FollowingGhosts (Post 2449083)
The stuff quite a few people swear by is a couple of bottles of Forte Turbo Cleaner mixed with a tank of VPower to really clean things out. It's about 15 quid a bottle but if they're not too bad, it can make the difference.

Do you have any idea how the turbo cleaner works when it's going into the fuel tank?
Not starting a debate on whether the product does what it says, just can't work out how it does the job? Done some googling and not come up with much...

NorthantsPete Sep 22nd, 2018 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2450071)
Do you have any idea how the turbo cleaner works when it's going into the fuel tank?
Not starting a debate on whether the product does what it says, just can't work out how it does the job? Done some googling and not come up with much...

some cause regen to occur earlier, others have cleaners that make it through thr combustion, others increase cetane values and make fuel burn better, vpower burns better as its liquid gas, others burn hot and some clean the injectors.

NorthantsPete Sep 24th, 2018 08:31

Vpower... ok until on lat 40 miles,again same route - cold start, 10 minutes drive at 70, no power. shut off and rev from start and its ok after that.

Here's hoping on the forte. Ill do the fuel filter for good measure next week

FollowingGhosts Sep 24th, 2018 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthantsPete (Post 2450591)
Vpower... ok until on lat 40 miles,again same route - cold start, 10 minutes drive at 70, no power. shut off and rev from start and its ok after that.

Here's hoping on the forte. Ill do the fuel filter for good measure next week

Do you know if the turbo vanes on these are vacuum actuated or electronically controlled?