Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Advise needed on new project upgrading 2.3 t5. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287389)

soarecelegica Oct 11th, 2018 19:01

Advise needed on new project upgrading 2.3 t5.

Hi all. Just bought an V70 2.3 t5 1998. I'm trying to get most of the power from this engine with stock internals.
Already purchased Rip intercooler kit, green injectors, 3" maf housing. Advise needed on bigger throttle body. Should I go for the one on 960 or 3" universal one. Turbo should I go for 19t or 20t kinugawa? Meth kit is on its way. Do i need to upgrade my intercooler. Also I have a bw200 fuel pump ready. What kind o boost controller should I choose manual or electronic? Spark plugs , leads and ignition coil? Forgot to mention I'm building my own 3" exhaust. Any help is welcome will post pictures of the project soon.

milgo86 Oct 11th, 2018 19:37

From what I've read people use a lot of stock parts. OE leads and plugs. OE boost controller with a suitable ECU map. Personally I don't buy in to heavily marketed performance coils etc.

It's boring, but if the car is very original then a lot of basics will need attention. I bought a MY96 850 just over a year ago and the engine torque mounts were torn, vacuum lines perished, boost hoses soft, suspension tired and breather system broken into pieces etc etc. These apparently minor faults, once corrected will transform your car and provide you with a good starting point.

I would upgrade the intercooler and hoses. I have a DO88 set in my car and it was a noticeable improvement over the original stuff.

soarecelegica Oct 11th, 2018 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by milgo86 (Post 2456449)
From what I've read people use a lot of stock parts. OE leads and plugs. OE boost controller with a suitable ECU map. Personally I don't buy in to heavily marketed performance coils etc.

It's boring, but if the car is very original then a lot of basics will need attention. I bought a MY96 850 just over a year ago and the engine torque mounts were torn, vacuum lines perished, boost hoses soft, suspension tired and breather system broken into pieces etc etc. These apparently minor faults, once corrected will transform your car and provide you with a good starting point.

I would upgrade the intercooler and hoses. I have a DO88 set in my car and it was a noticeable improvement over the original stuff.

I already found hoses and vacuums cracked. Oil leaks. I've done what is called stage 0 and I want to upgrade power and be able to fine tune this engine.

milgo86 Oct 11th, 2018 20:39

OK cool,

I have the following "performance" engine bits on mine and would recommend them (not big power):

DO88 intercooler and silicone hoses
Mambatek 16T turbo with angled flange
Ferrita turbo back exhaust
TTV "Lite" flywheel
Quaife ATB differential
850R clutch kit
ECU map

I don't know what you plan to do with your car, but it's worth noting that with good tyres my car still scrabbles for grip in 1st on a perfectly flat road. So if you are looking to drag it I'd maybe look at a more aggressive differential.

I tried an IPD boost solenoid and it gave me problems. So I wouldn't recommend that. Also if you run a Kinugawa turbo with the stock solenoid, don't use one of their actuators. Use the stock actuator set to the correct crack pressure. Up-rated actuators with high spring pressures cause dangerous boost spikes with the stock setup.

milgo86 Oct 11th, 2018 20:56

I should also say that meth seems OTT for a td04 setup. Your money would probably be better spend on rods and a GT series turbo with a custom manifold.

classicswede Oct 11th, 2018 21:07

I would go with H beam rods as early as possible so you know you are safe for future plans

don kalmar union Oct 12th, 2018 09:39

I have in stock the Ferrita stainless exhausts, both d'pipe with 100 cel cat and sports cat back, and the lightweight single mass flywheels referred to in earlier posts.

there is only one man experienced, well informed and trusted in this country to get to do any work on these engines... Tim Williams in Coalville.

Don.

soarecelegica Oct 12th, 2018 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by don kalmar union (Post 2456599)
I have in stock the Ferrita stainless exhausts, both d'pipe with 100 cel cat and sports cat back, and the lightweight single mass flywheels referred to in earlier posts.

there is only one man experienced, well informed and trusted in this country to get to do any work on these engines... Tim Williams in Coalville.

Don.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your time to write here. I'll do a write up again after I set my goals. I'm thinking upgrading Conrods and I think I'll do it. Any makes for Conrods?

soarecelegica Mar 31st, 2019 18:31

Beeing busy with work didn't got to do too many on the engine. I can say thow that I've managed to get the engine out . Now I have h beam Conrods . I've read that for rod bearings I can go for the d5 rod bearings that can stand more torque? Standard mains and pistons don't know what to choose. I've tried uploading pics but it seems I cannot.