Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1992 B230F Temperature Gauge Sender (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296095)

AlexO Jun 27th, 2019 10:39

1992 B230F Temperature Gauge Sender

Chaps,

My temperature gauge ceased working a while ago and I can't seem to source a replacement that fits. I can find generic replacements but they all seem to be too long or have too many threads so they don't sit flush with the head/block when tight and then don't work. As ever, the internet is providing a great mix of confusing information on this so could somebody please:

A) Confirm that the temperature guage sender is the single wire sensor under the intake manifold under intake runners 2/3 so I know I'm changing the right sensor

B) The part number for this part so I can go hunting. It's for a 1992 B230F if this makes any difference.

Apologies if this is a duplication of effort but I've been researching this for quite some time with no luck.

Thanks,

Alex

Clan Jun 27th, 2019 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexO (Post 2531855)
Chaps,

My temperature gauge ceased working a while ago and I can't seem to source a replacement that fits. I can find generic replacements but they all seem to be too long or have too many threads so they don't sit flush with the head/block when tight and then don't work. As ever, the internet is providing a great mix of confusing information on this so could somebody please:

A) Confirm that the temperature guage sender is the single wire sensor under the intake manifold under intake runners 2/3 so I know I'm changing the right sensor

B) The part number for this part so I can go hunting. It's for a 1992 B230F if this makes any difference.

Apologies if this is a duplication of effort but I've been researching this for quite some time with no luck.

Thanks,

Alex

Are you sure it is the gauge ? try earthing the wire that goes on the sender , the gauge should go right up .

Yes it is the single terminal sender .

Have you tried the dealer ? Part number 460191

AlexO Jun 27th, 2019 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2531858)
Are you sure it is the gauge ? try earthing the wire that goes on the sender , the gauge should go right up .

Yes it is the single terminal sender .

Have you tried the dealer ? Part number 460191

Haven't tried that clan, it's a very good idea though! Also havent tried the dealer because I couldn't find the part number however, with your PM, that shouldn't be a problem any longer (a google of the part number looks exactly like what I've got, at last!)

nu11eaf Jun 27th, 2019 20:40

Try putting your Reg No in here to find your part. (Where it says "change")
https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/engine...5hp-1986-1993/

Nicholas Lewin Jun 27th, 2019 23:11

Alex - do you use FRF Swansea at all (Volvo dealer)? Recommended to me by a certain Essex 240 driver (innit) and used ever since. Point is that they will get the right part by reg or by chassis #. Mike in Parts is very helpful when it comes to our older 240s

Your description of the item also sounds correct btw

nu11eaf Jun 30th, 2019 13:20

https://www.partsmonster.co.uk/volvo...or-19287-p.asp

Clan Jun 30th, 2019 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2532565)

That isn't a volvo one , and volvo ones do not use a rubber O ring to seal , I think the dealer is the only place you can guarantee to get the correct one .

AlexO Jul 1st, 2019 09:56

Thanks for all the input chaps.

As mentioned, the volvo part certainly doesn't seem to use a rubber O-ring, however the other mentioned senders are too long/have too many threads to fit in the block. As a bit of research I've ordered one with an O-ring that certainly looks identical to what I've got so I'll try and fit then report back.

Wish my luck!

Alex

Clan Jul 1st, 2019 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexO (Post 2532758)
Thanks for all the input chaps.

As mentioned, the volvo part certainly doesn't seem to use a rubber O-ring, however the other mentioned senders are too long/have too many threads to fit in the block. As a bit of research I've ordered one with an O-ring that certainly looks identical to what I've got so I'll try and fit then report back.

Wish my luck!

Alex

Just get one from volvo and have done with it ... :-)

Stephen Edwin Jul 2nd, 2019 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2532769)
Just get one from volvo and have done with it ... :-)

That is always a good starting point in my opinion and in my little experience so far.

I do feel some people automatically look for a non-Volvo part first?

In general. The item from a dealer is likely to be correct. For example, it has been said Volvo wiper blades are suited to the rather stronger than usual spring strength of Volvo wiper arms, giving a better wipe.

The price is often good and can sometimes work out cheaper than an alternative.

One needs to be realistic. Different items from different sources. Some items are even only available from other suppliers. And there have been criticisms of quality of some genuine parts nowadays.

And then again some parts are only available from Volvo dealers. And some top quality is only available from Volvo dealers.

If you find a helpful Volvo dealer parts department, use them loyally and in my experience you will be looked after. And if 240 friendly Volvo dealers are not supported by 240 owners, we will lose them as being unviable.