Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Polestar and Insurance- what do we advise them? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=257826)

marceloavg Oct 14th, 2016 11:50

Polestar and Insurance- what do we advise them?

Just a simple query but consering polestar is a factory addon which is classed as accessories, does it need to be on the insurance? How did you do on yours?

Thanks

Paul Wildsmith Oct 14th, 2016 12:57

any change to a vehicle over its standard spec, so includes even things ordered as factory fit options, need to be declared. They may not affect the premium, but may be an issue if a claim arises.

I understand that some insurers will cover Polestar with no loading (as it's under a certain % performance increase), others will not allow it at all.

aab203 Oct 14th, 2016 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith (Post 2180967)
any change to a vehicle over its standard spec, so includes even things ordered as factory fit options

Is this limited to performance related add-ons?

Do I need to tell the insurance company I added the family pack etc? I've always answered 'No' to the question about modifications but never bought a new car with custom add-ons before either.

Lexman8 Oct 14th, 2016 16:33

As I'd specified about £5k worth of options I specifically checked with both my recent insurers (LV and Direct Line) about whether I had to declare these options. Both companies said that as long as the options were fitted at the factory I didn't need to list them.

However, I'd guess Polestar may be a special case.

marceloavg Oct 14th, 2016 17:59

yes, that is my thinking as the 21 inch alloys and the polestar will be added at the dealer and not factory

AB-UK Oct 14th, 2016 18:22

The sad but inevitable reality is that insurance companies will do whatever they can to avoid paying out, and when they have to they recoup their losses by increasing everyone else's premiums so that their share dividends are maintained.

This despite the fact insurance companies make £Billions - look at the biggest buildings in major world cities.

My Son was told his premium would increase if he replaced his broken radio because the replacement was not the same as the original one, despite the car being 12 years old now.

GMTRB5 Oct 14th, 2016 20:57

I'm with Admiral and I was told that I need to declare anything that changes the original spec, including factory fit options ... I told them that this was ridiculous as their system isn't specced for factory fit options...

I had the same when I bought my BMW, I had the most bizarre conversation with Admiral when I tried to explain that I'd got LED headlights which was an optional extra .. they said they would put down that I'd fitted additional spot lights to the car... after about 5 minutes trying to explain that they weren't additional lights just a different spec to the standard headlights I gave up !

marceloavg Oct 14th, 2016 21:18

Do you mean apple car play needs to be disclosed as well in that case? I thought factory items would be ok but not dealer fit?

Ninja59 Oct 15th, 2016 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2181059)
As I'd specified about £5k worth of options I specifically checked with both my recent insurers (LV and Direct Line) about whether I had to declare these options. Both companies said that as long as the options were fitted at the factory I didn't need to list them.

However, I'd guess Polestar may be a special case.

Strictly speaking everything needs to be declared including factory fit.

Any uki limited insurer brand needs factory fit declaring.

I know lv's policy is anything factory fitted or prior to registration , so technically even dealer fitted options could get away without being declared. It is worth asking the question if you need to about them but if the policy is factory fit or prior to first registration you should not need to declare it.

Just to add i have been on the modification side with lv and it works subtly different from many other insurers as they just simply have a group modification for a specific area (engine performance changes are more detailed mind), for example my mx5 is running non factory fitted uprated suspension, arb's and different uprated droplinks. All those simply come under suspension and steering for one charge, and having got that grouping you can do any changes within that group without additional charge.

That of course has advantages and disadvantages as lv then work on a points system per group over a certain number they won't insure you. Lv are funny over non factory fitted uprated lights and any form of after factory tinting and wont insure you....

marceloavg Oct 15th, 2016 09:18

And would p* be classed as engine chip or engine performance modification?