Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 Keyless locking problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338538)

Rattycube Mar 3rd, 2024 17:02

XC60 Keyless locking problems

Hi All

new to Volvoforums and was hoping to pick your brains.
I am the owner of a 2020 XC60 B5 48000km. I have owned the car since new.

I have literally returned from a skiing trip and upon return i noticed i was unable to lock the car using the keyless method (finger on door handle sensor). sporadically it would work but then it stopped again. literally my finger would be on the sensor and nothing would happen.
Using keyless to unlock worked normally.

naturally i looked on the internet (not in too much depth) but couldn't find anything.

by process of enlimantion
i changed the batteries in my key fobs - no change
i thought, if i could drive the car it might trigger something - no change
i checked the cars locking settings on the screen and changed the settings to single back to all - no change
finally the last option was to leave the car in my heated garage overnight (18hrs) to find out if there's moisture.

So the answer was Yes it was moisture, and it was having an impact with me being unable to use keyless locking, bearing in mind the temps have been just above freezing. the car now locks and unlocks as it should.

so after my long winded description, is anyone aware of how the keyless locking is setup, do they all have their own keyless modules or do they run to central module? how would i be able to disperse the moisture or is this a job for the Volvo dealership?

many thanks

Rattycube

Lexman8 Mar 3rd, 2024 18:00

Did you try locking with all the doors or just one? If the problem is with only one door then the issue is with that particular handle. If all the doors are affected it's probably the central module.

Rattycube Mar 3rd, 2024 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2938956)
Did you try locking with all the doors or just one? If the problem is with only one door then the issue is with that particular handle. If all the doors are affected it's probably the central module.

Hi Lexman8

i tried locking all doors using the keyless method. Because its been in the garage at 18 degrees celsius for around 16 to 18hrs it seems to have rectified the problem., hence why i think its a moisture issue. that said i still think there's moisture around the area.

any idea where this module is located?

many thanks

Lexman8 Mar 4th, 2024 10:04

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure Keyless is controlled by the CEM (Central Electronic Module) that's item 11 in the attached diagram. This shows its approximate location on a S90/V90 so it may be in the same place on an XC60 or it could be mirrored for a RHD car.
_

Rattycube Mar 4th, 2024 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2939045)
I'm pretty sure Keyless is controlled by the CEM (Central Electronic Module) that's item 11 in the attached diagram. This shows its approximate location on a S90/V90 so it may be in the same place on an XC60 or it could be mirrored for a RHD car.
_

Lexman8

Thats fantastic, thank you so much. Mine is actually a LHD so it helps. Understand the Swedish text too. Big help. On another forum which I won’t mention but quite a few seem to be ignoring the initial text and keep telling me it’s the keyfob.

Right now everything seems back to normal. I am trying to keep the car in the garage for as long as possible to assist any displacement of moisture. Can’t be certain 100% it’s moisture but it’s pointing to it.

Once again many thanks 🙏