Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 Aux/Cam Belt fix (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306806)

Alex Bi Jun 9th, 2020 21:33

D5 Aux/Cam Belt fix

Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for a Diesel XC70 P3 and I already know the horror stories of the snapped aux belt that takes down in sequence the timing belt and the whole head.

What I've heard or read somewhere is that finally on D5 engines they put something like a plate in between the 2 belts in order to keep them separate and virtually have no more timing issues in case of a snapped aux belt.

If this is true, do you guys know when this upgrade has been implemented?
What MY should I look for in order to buy one with the upgrade?

Thank you!

Clan Jun 9th, 2020 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Bi (Post 2637038)
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for a Diesel XC70 P3 and I already know the horror stories of the snapped aux belt that takes down in sequence the timing belt and the whole head.

What I've heard or read somewhere is that finally on D5 engines they put something like a plate in between the 2 belts in order to keep them separate and virtually have no more timing issues in case of a snapped aux belt.

If this is true, do you guys know when this upgrade has been implemented?
What MY should I look for in order to buy one with the upgrade?

Thank you!

No that's not the case at all , they improved the Aux belt and tensioner twice , then went back to using the original belt tensioner but change the belt every 54000 miles instead of 108000 miles . . this all happened between 2007 and 2012

Alex Bi Jun 10th, 2020 16:23

Oh that's a shame, thank you anyway for the explanation.

Do you know how this affected the risk to have a snapped aux belt?
I mean, does the new service interval really lower (or maybe eliminate) the risk of such a catastrophic problem?

Clan Jun 10th, 2020 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Bi (Post 2637309)
Oh that's a shame, thank you anyway for the explanation.

Do you know how this affected the risk to have a snapped aux belt?
I mean, does the new service interval really lower (or maybe eliminate) the risk of such a catastrophic problem?

Yes generally it does .. There is always someone who will say theirs broke after 30000 miles but we don't know the facts ... in my experience working professionally with 1000's them the 54000 mile interval works fine .

Scooser Jun 11th, 2020 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2637442)
Yes generally it does .. There is always someone who will say theirs broke after 30000 miles but we don't know the facts ... in my experience working professionally with 1000's them the 54000 mile interval works fine .

My aux belt and tensioner on my MY09 V70 D5 is coming up for 5 years since the last change, but has only done 25k miles since the last change.

With your experience Clan, would you change it a 5 years/25 k miles. Or maybe (for example) ask the garage to ask the garage to listen to tensioner by stethoscope to see if it is spinning true?

I realise the importance of the change, but it’s not that cheap (£200-250) on a 12 year old car that’s not now worth a lot.

Montana Jun 12th, 2020 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooser (Post 2637843)
My aux belt and tensioner on my MY09 V70 D5 is coming up for 5 years since the last change, but has only done 25k miles since the last change.

With your experience Clan, would you change it a 5 years/25 k miles. Or maybe (for example) ask the garage to ask the garage to listen to tensioner by stethoscope to see if it is spinning true?

I realise the importance of the change, but it’s not that cheap (£200-250) on a 12 year old car that’s not now worth a lot.

I would change it in line with the schedule.

You can change the aux belt & tensioner for around £60 (dayco parts - identical to OEM). See my progress thread when i changed my tensioner and i couldnt tell the difference in visual appearance or tensioner operation between the OEM volvo one and dayco replacment - so it had faired very well for 5 year old. However for £60, get it changed.

Cambelt is 10 year/108k

Clan Jun 12th, 2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooser (Post 2637843)

volvo did say when this new aux belt change was announced a few years ago that the 54000 MILE aux belt only change is mileage specific after doing their tests as they put the failure down to the severe tug the belt gets when the engine initially fires up . if only they had kept the thicker wider belts they had always used from 1990 to 2007 there would have been no trouble .

Clan Jun 12th, 2020 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montana (Post 2637922)
I would change it in line with the schedule.

You can change the aux belt & tensioner for around £60 (dayco parts - identical to OEM). See my progress thread when i changed my tensioner and i couldnt tell the difference in visual appearance or tensioner operation between the OEM volvo one and dayco replacment - so it had faired very well for 5 year old. However for £60, get it changed.

Cambelt is 10 year/108k

you really should not be saying things like this when advising people on here , its just hearsay, they wont thank you when it fails ...

Bonefishblues Jun 12th, 2020 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2637956)
you really should not be saying things like this when advising people on here , its just hearsay, they wont thank you when it fails ...

Is the OEM item marketed by a manufacturer?

Clan Jun 12th, 2020 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2637957)
Is the OEM item marketed by a manufacturer?

The only one which should be used are the one with VOLVO stamped on them ... volvo parts are nearly always to volvo's own specifications which are better than the ones you mention .. at least you have some comeback if it falls apart .Dayco aren't going to have any interest whatsoever .. you get what you pay for i have found in my 45 year Volvo career .