Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   5 cylinder on petrol... and 4 on LPG (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275455)

volvotwofortyfive Nov 28th, 2017 13:15

5 cylinder on petrol... and 4 on LPG

Hello everyone,
I suppose, in a few time, I'll take contacts with CNGBiFuel for a complete refurbishment of stepper motor... BUT, meanwhile, I propose all of you a new exciting issue: engine runs "on 4" when LPG feeded.
In my previous attempts, I could see inside distributor a serie of slots in it's main cylinder. The slots are very very narrow and I had supposed that dirty could have clogged one of it. So, I poured a cleaner inside the main pipe (the pipe coming from evaporator, for short) and I waited. But nothing happened.
Given the situation, is there inside the injectors someting that could be jammed? It sound me strange because I suppose that the "injectors" are not exactly injectors but "diffusers", since they haven't electrical devices. Do these may have a sort of non-return valve or something similar?
Thank you in advance!

volvotwofortyfive Dec 4th, 2017 10:18

... Someone home?

Simon Jones Dec 4th, 2017 22:43

Have you established which cylinder is affected? What state is the ignition in? Any weaknesses with ignition will be highlighted when running on gas.

volvotwofortyfive Dec 5th, 2017 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2344518)
Have you established which cylinder is affected? What state is the ignition in? Any weaknesses with ignition will be highlighted when running on gas.

Hello Simon, thanks.
No, at the moment I don't know which cylinder is the "guilty"; I didn't know that LPG is so sensitive to ignition. So I should check it before put hands on LPG devices? In case, I suppose spark plugs first, then coils?
Thanks again.

CNGBiFuel Dec 5th, 2017 19:24

And we're off..

This issue has been covered many times.

Simon Jones Dec 5th, 2017 23:18

Given that it's apparently such a well-worn subject, i would have thought it would be the perfect topic for 'sticky' at the top of this section.

volvotwofortyfive Dec 6th, 2017 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2344880)
And we're off..

This issue has been covered many times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2344983)
Given that it's apparently such a well-worn subject, i would have thought it would be the perfect topic for 'sticky' at the top of this section.

Hello both, sorry for my mismanaging and topics search, I've found something but non specific... probably for my error...

I would ask to CNG how usually is managed (shipping, exchange, etc.) his refurbishment of stepper motors: it's a long time I have problems (discussed in this forum), now the misfiring too, so I'd like to solve all them...

CNGBiFuel Dec 22nd, 2017 00:03

Quote:

Don't talk bitch about it, write it. I wrote one once and they ignored my request to make it sticky.

Send you old core to me. Sorry I don't send out on spec anymore. No matter how large a deposit I take, the old cores don't come back. I owe nearly £900 to various owners around Europe in core-deposits. Which sounds very profitible, but in the end I run out of cores. So I can't send steppers. No cores, puts me out of business. Hence, £900 is no good to me, I'd much prefer to have the cores.

For thsoe that wish to continue driving whilst I repair I send you a blanking plate.

See my ebay offerings, buy my blanking-plate whilst I repair yours.
For more detail go to eBay.

Simon Jones Dec 23rd, 2017 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2349705)
Don't talk bitch about it, write it. I wrote one once and they ignored my request to make it sticky.

Merry Christmas to you too :). Much as I'd love to write it, I've got BRC and Prins conversions which don't suffer the problems of the factory fitted systems. My advice would be to rip out everything downstream of the tank and get a decent modern conversion.

CNGBiFuel Dec 24th, 2017 07:56

Agreed. There's better systems than the factory-fit. Only it works and the issues it does have can usually be sorted for under £200. For me the whole point about running gas is to save money.

A modern system, even if you install yourself runs to £6-700 and a pro-install puts the price at £15-1600 if you're lucky. That's 15,000+ before break-even. For that price it had better be very good, and i can't see the logic. The car might not make that, or the extra 30,000 it needs to be in proper profit.

Better? Perhaps, but my car is worth £700 if I'm lucky. Hence, £15-1600? I'd be an idiot to spend that if saving money is the aim. So how can it be better?

Nope, £15-1600? I want two cars for that.

I'm no registration-plate queen, I'll leave those with self-esteem issues to that lark.

Money no-object, I wouldn't be driving my car anyway, but for the price, it's next to unbeatable.

CLEANING THE DIZZY
You'll not guarntee getting to the slots in the dizzy by pouring down the pipe. Soak by removing the stepper. It's a pig to get to on late models, which is why these days I recommend movilg the whole thing with longer 8mm pipe x 5. Keeps the pricey stepper from cooking too. Then you can make it a yearly job. Takes me 2-3 minutes on mine. Then let it soak for 2-3 hours.