Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Damaged before delivery (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289639)

theminch Dec 13th, 2018 18:02

Damaged before delivery

After ordering a new Volvo, all set to collect and receive a call from the dealership. Sir, when cleaning your car we noticed damage on the rear bumper. It us a long linear scratch and bump but don't worry we have sent it to the body shop to be fixed.

What is your response...

S90 Dec 13th, 2018 18:09

Let them, what else would you do? Cars get damaged on the production line, they get fixed.

Probably be asking for some goodwill from dealer in view of delay and disappointment etc?

roundyuk Dec 13th, 2018 18:38

I had to have a new windscreen in my V60 before I picked it up!

n7xtc Dec 13th, 2018 18:41

Depends on the car colour... If they can't get a perfect match on the paint then I'd expect a replacement car, if they can I'd still expect some sort of goodwill apology.

harveys Dec 13th, 2018 18:48

Point out you are buying a brand new car ,not a damage repaired one.
Also if you can see any paintwork thats looks to been done you will not have the car..
Only look at it in very good light .

ian77 Dec 13th, 2018 18:58

I thought bumpers were available as factory painted spare parts? I’d push for a replacement part if they can get one in a reasonable timeframe. My V60 came with a nick in the leather on the back of the rear seat - we agreed they could try and repair it and if it wasn’t acceptable they would order a new car and replace the seat (spare seat was months to order in!). Kept the repair in the end, didn’t like the idea of what they had to take to bits to replace the seat...

Crockers Dec 13th, 2018 21:21

I think you'd be shocked how many new cars are damaged prior to delivery.

XC90Mk1 Dec 13th, 2018 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by theminch (Post 2475517)
After ordering a new Volvo, all set to collect and receive a call from the dealership. Sir, when cleaning your car we noticed damage on the rear bumper. It us a long linear scratch and bump but don't worry we have sent it to the body shop to be fixed.

What is your response...

Ask for a new one, new new one that has not been accident repaired.

Volvo can use e that one as they please, demo, sell second hand but you didn’t buy a brand new car for it to already have none fresh paint.

Haldex Dec 13th, 2018 22:16

What XC90Mk1 said. No way I’d take delivery of a “new” freshly repaired car. Yes- cars get damaged in production, in transport, etc- but when I pay for new- I expect to receive new.

SpaceBoy42 Dec 13th, 2018 22:48

Mine was reversed into a post (at low speed) the day before I was due to collect it. They couldn't buff out the resulting mark on the bumper so I got the big phone call.

Your first reaction is to throw your arms up in the air and consider demanding a new one be built immediately - but that would cause a big delay while they actually construct a new one to order. The repair that was done went very well (they simply replaced the pre-painted rear bumper with a brand new one) which was a reasonably simple job which of course is fully guaranteed by Volvo.

...and as luck would have it, someone drove into the back of mine much later at a faster speed while it was stationary and it had to be replaced a second time (this time on insurance at third party's cost) and still it looks and behaves brand new at the back!