Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 engine cutting out intermittently (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293143)

AZ42 Mar 23rd, 2019 16:15

Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 engine cutting out intermittently

I am new to this forum and I've joined with the sole purpose of finding others who have experienced the issue I've outlined below.

I bought a new Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 in September 2018 and initially I was very pleased with it, having had a standard V40 before it without much issue.
However, soon after buying it I found it was cutting out intermittently when stopping at junctions. Not just stopping with the start/stop function, but the engine completely turning off. Causing me to look down and press the start/stop button to restart, which is a danger as I have to take my eyes off the road whilst potentially moving forward into the path of oncoming traffic with a ‘dead’ car.

I’ve taken the car into the dealer a number of times and they have not found any issues, mainly because when they plug it in no error codes appear to tell them what went wrong. Instead they are telling me it’s a ‘feature’ of the newish 2.0 engine, which is designed to cut out if the driver stops the car in a high gear. Volvo have apparently designed it this way to protect against potential damage to the flywheel. Even though I find it incredulous that any car could be designed this way, I can’t see why it should be programmed to completely cut out the engine. If the engine needs to be stopped in this type of situation, why can’t the normal start/stop action be employed. This would enable the engine to be restarted by depressing the clutch and not endanger all concerned by forcing the driver to divert his attention from the road at a critical moment to restart the car.

I believe this is a design issue and a potential safety hazard, which goes against all that Volvo stands for, but I need to find others that have experienced a similar issue. Otherwise I'm just a lone voice without any power to force Volvo to fix the problem.

Please reply with your related stories concerning this issue. Thank you.

Cheers

MalmoV40 Mar 26th, 2019 15:21

As i understand car goes completely dead, dashboard is off?

AZ42 Mar 29th, 2019 14:57

Yes, the car goes completely dead, but dashboard lights up as if you had pressed the 'start/stop' button to switch off the engine. You then have to press the 'start/stop' button to restart the engine, but in the mean time you've lost power steering or brakes, and any ability to avoid other traffic.
I'm unable to reject the car, since Volvo and the dealer both don't believe there is a fault. So my only option is to cancel my contract and pay an early release penalty...

Clan Mar 29th, 2019 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ42 (Post 2508673)
Yes, the car goes completely dead, but dashboard lights up as if you had pressed the 'start/stop' button to switch off the engine. You then have to press the 'start/stop' button to restart the engine, but in the mean time you've lost power steering or brakes, and any ability to avoid other traffic.
I'm unable to reject the car, since Volvo and the dealer both don't believe there is a fault. So my only option is to cancel my contract and pay an early release penalty...

try pressing the stop start button before every journey to turn the function off . see what happens then for a week or so .

Billggski Mar 29th, 2019 15:57

I'm assuming it's a manual and you sound like you are coasting to a stop in a high gear?
If so change down to second as you approach a junction and see if the same thing happens.
Just a guess.

julianps Apr 24th, 2019 11:14

I cannot say my experience is identical, but it is similar.

My car is an MY'17 D2 manual and had the clutch/flywheel changed under warranty at 6k miles. It developed similar symptoms about 6months later where Volvo "... updated the software .." as a remedy.

Recently I approached a 30MPH board in 6th + brakes ... getting slower/closer, I changed down to third and released the clutch-pedal to find no throttle response (I do not recall losing power-steering or assisted-braking moreover the car did not judder on releasing the clutch - so, the engine was still running?).

I saw the centre section of the dashboard and all warning lights were blank but didn't notice if the mechanical rev/speedometer had stopped too.

Intending to bring the car safely to a stand-still I depressed the clutch pedal again, which brought back the dashboard and warning lights and with it a Stall Warning (depress the clutch to restart, etc.). This instruction was at variance with circumstances as the clutch pedal was already depressed!

I released the clutch pedal (again, no judder) to find throttle response restored. Very disconcerting, especially for the driver behind me!

My dealer has told me over the years Volvo had redesigned the clutch plate/DMF more than once and reading these pages it occurs to me more than one OP has complained about clutch-burn when using the mechanical parking brake for holding the car on a hill/hill-starts. One thread had Volvo dismissing a warranty claim on the grounds it was operator behaviour (i.e. poor driving style). It appears Volvo has changed the operating software to protect the transmission from heavy-left-feet/use of parking brake other than for parking.

A switch in the clutch master/slave system manages the Stop/Start & Stall Restore functions so short of an electro/mechanical gremlin that is failing to report itself via error codes this must now be intended functionality. As Clan has suggested, you might try running without Stop/Start for a while (you have to turn off each trip) and as Billggski has suggested change down gears sequentially, not skipping gears as you go.

r2gow Apr 27th, 2019 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ42 (Post 2506947)
I am new to this forum and I've joined with the sole purpose of finding others who have experienced the issue I've outlined below.

I bought a new Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 in September 2018 and initially I was very pleased with it, having had a standard V40 before it without much issue.
However, soon after buying it I found it was cutting out intermittently when stopping at junctions. Not just stopping with the start/stop function, but the engine completely turning off. Causing me to look down and press the start/stop button to restart, which is a danger as I have to take my eyes off the road whilst potentially moving forward into the path of oncoming traffic with a ‘dead’ car.

I’ve taken the car into the dealer a number of times and they have not found any issues, mainly because when they plug it in no error codes appear to tell them what went wrong. Instead they are telling me it’s a ‘feature’ of the newish 2.0 engine, which is designed to cut out if the driver stops the car in a high gear. Volvo have apparently designed it this way to protect against potential damage to the flywheel. Even though I find it incredulous that any car could be designed this way, I can’t see why it should be programmed to completely cut out the engine. If the engine needs to be stopped in this type of situation, why can’t the normal start/stop action be employed. This would enable the engine to be restarted by depressing the clutch and not endanger all concerned by forcing the driver to divert his attention from the road at a critical moment to restart the car.

I believe this is a design issue and a potential safety hazard, which goes against all that Volvo stands for, but I need to find others that have experienced a similar issue. Otherwise I'm just a lone voice without any power to force Volvo to fix the problem.

Please reply with your related stories concerning this issue. Thank you.

Cheers

hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful

r2gow Apr 27th, 2019 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2508676)
try pressing the stop start button before every journey to turn the function off . see what happens then for a week or so .

hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful

r2gow May 15th, 2019 22:15

Clan May 15th, 2019 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2gow (Post 2516486)

have you tried my suggestion above ? turning stop/start off before every journey for a week? The only other thing which can cause stalling is a leaky EGR Valve ..