Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Best advice for engine longevity? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295693)

V50 Craig Jun 13th, 2019 20:48

Best advice for engine longevity?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best things to do to prolong the life of an engine. Basically, thanks to poor geographical planning on my part, my home to work roundtrip is approx 120 miles a day, and I work between 5 and 7 days a week depending how busy things are. As you can imagine this adds up quickly. I'm a huge hiking fan too so on my days off I'm constantly travelling to different hiking locations. The result of this is I've done just shy of 20,000 miles since the end of November. The engine is now just over 112k and its a 2008 v50 2.0d.

Now, I would say probably 80% of my driving is up and down the M4 and I tend to cruise in the slow lane at 60mph 99% of the time, so I dont abuse the car. When I bought it it had full service history and it's booked in for it's 3rd service since being in my ownership.

Short of your regular fluid and filter changes, is there anything else I do to keep the engine in top condition? It's recently had a new clutch and DMF and the timing belt/water pump was changed on purchase. I want it to see 200k miles, which at its current rate will probably be in around 2.5 years time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sotosound Jun 13th, 2019 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by V50 Craig (Post 2528503)
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best things to do to prolong the life of an engine. Basically, thanks to poor geographical planning on my part, my home to work roundtrip is approx 120 miles a day, and I work between 5 and 7 days a week depending how busy things are. As you can imagine this adds up quickly. I'm a huge hiking fan too so on my days off I'm constantly travelling to different hiking locations. The result of this is I've done just shy of 20,000 miles since the end of November. The engine is now just over 112k and its a 2008 v50 2.0d.

Now, I would say probably 80% of my driving is up and down the M4 and I tend to cruise in the slow lane at 60mph 99% of the time, so I dont abuse the car. When I bought it it had full service history and it's booked in for it's 3rd service since being in my ownership.

Short of your regular fluid and filter changes, is there anything else I do to keep the engine in top condition? It's recently had a new clutch and DMF and the timing belt/water pump was changed on purchase. I want it to see 200k miles, which at its current rate will probably be in around 2.5 years time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The fact that you're doing so many miles will help. Doing lots of short journeys would do the opposite.

Following the service schedule will help and if you fancy changing the engine oil halfway between services then that won't do any harm.

If looked after properly, that Ford/PSA engine will probably get you past 200K without an issue but my suspicion is that it won't last as long as a Volvo engine, so I'd look to move the car on at around 200K. By then, it's resale value will be very low, but you will have gotten massive value out of it.

V50 Craig Jun 13th, 2019 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotosound (Post 2528505)
The fact that you're doing so many miles will help. Doing lots of short journeys would do the opposite.

Following the service schedule will help and if you fancy changing the engine oil halfway between services then that won't do any harm.

If looked after properly, that Ford/PSA engine will probably get you past 200K without an issue but my suspicion is that it won't last as long as a Volvo engine, so I'd look to move the car on at around 200K. By then, it's resale value will be very low, but you will have gotten massive value out of it.

Yeah that's my plan to be honest. There aren't too many modern engines that will comfortably continue to sail past 200k problem free even with good maintenence. This is my general car cycle, keep it 2/3 years, look after it and change it near the 200k mark. This is why ill never buy a newer car as the depreciation would kill me with the mileage going up so quickly

Sphinx2000 Jun 13th, 2019 21:53

If its an auto, look at getting the gearbox oil and filter changed. As well as diff oil.

The Thong Jun 13th, 2019 22:33

Interim oil changes are a good way of reducing engine wear. I used to service my old 2ltr DOHC Sierra every 6.5k miles, the bore wear was minimal at 130k after it was inspected after a head gasket failure. I used to fit a new filter every other service and I was using Castrol Semi Synthetic, I was happy with the results and so was the garage it seems.

TT

AndyV7o Jun 13th, 2019 22:52

Just do what you do, and service every 12k rather than extended oci. Dont labour the engine often, and dont be scared to use the revs once up to temp.

The Thong Jun 13th, 2019 23:17

The PSA 2ltr lump is a robust unit, I used the have a V50 myself and it’s one of the most economical diesels I ever owned. As above, keep it serviced and don’t beat it to death and all will be well.

TT

Bendolfc Jun 14th, 2019 10:08

Just drive it and service as per the schedule, mines on 205K now, never had an engine issue still on original clutch used on a 9 daily 9 mile commute to work (hitting 90 most days (allegedly)) and frequent trips down to Devon. Sometimes does about 15K between services :shocked:

You will have to do something special to kill a 2.0D,

AndyJudge Jun 14th, 2019 13:22

As mentioned keep the revs down when the engines not up to temp.
Don't be afraid to use the rev range.

Regular servicing

Clan Jun 14th, 2019 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 (Post 2528515)
If its an auto, look at getting the gearbox oil and filter changed. As well as diff oil.

If it is an auto , it is on the 50000 service schedule to change it's gearbox oil and filter this is essential for long life .