Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Door protector strip-removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284153)

Father Ted Jul 15th, 2018 20:54

Door protector strip-removal

Hi All.
Mine is an old XC90, with the original styling, ie. Silver car with black door handles and black strips on doors.
This makes the car look quite dated. So, I've painted the handles to match the body work and they look really good. Now I'm considering painting the plastic door protectors to match.

Question is: How to remove them? I've had a look today and they look like they are held on with self adhesive foam tape. If they are, then great. I'll get some more tape and take them off.
But, before I go forcing things, does anyone know if there is anything else holding them on, screws, bolts etc?
If I have to dismantle the door, then I probably won't bother.

owenfackrell Jul 15th, 2018 22:03

They are held on with tape or at least mine are 2005 my car. You will need to remove the indicators first otherwise you risk breaking them.

AidXC90 Jul 16th, 2018 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Ted (Post 2425700)
Hi All.
Mine is an old XC90, with the original styling, ie. Silver car with black door handles and black strips on doors.
This makes the car look quite dated. So, I've painted the handles to match the body work and they look really good.

Interesting project, FatherTed. My old style door handles look very ropey with lots of white discolouration and scratches. Would you be able to summarise how you managed to paint them to match the body colour? I presume there is lots of sanding involved etc. to get them smooth, then filling, etc. etc. etc? Are they metal or plastic?

Aidan

Father Ted Jul 16th, 2018 22:12

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AidXC90 (Post 2425825)
Interesting project, FatherTed. My old style door handles look very ropey with lots of white discolouration and scratches. Would you be able to summarise how you managed to paint them to match the body colour? I presume there is lots of sanding involved etc. to get them smooth, then filling, etc. etc. etc? Are they metal or plastic?

Aidan

There wasn't much to it.
I considered taking the handles off, but that was too much work.
I ordered the paint and laquer on ebay (code 426).

SO, I masked the area. Gave them a light rub down with P800 wet/dry. Two handles were pitted, but this turned out to be laquer, so I rubbed them down to the paint.
Then I primed with Etch Primer. It was a very warm day, so I didn't need to leave long between the coats.
Two coats primer. Three coats of paint and four coats laquer.
All four handles, about 3 hours all told.

AidXC90 Jul 17th, 2018 01:09

Thanks for the update Father Ted. It looks great on your car.

Well done.

Aidan

gmonag Jul 17th, 2018 10:09

Nice job! Well done.

colinbos Jul 17th, 2018 21:20

Cracking job. Wing mirrors as well would finish it.

Father Ted Jul 18th, 2018 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinbos (Post 2426564)
Cracking job. Wing mirrors as well would finish it.

Yeah. I was thinking that, but it'll have to wait as they would need to come off first.
Think I need more paint!!!!

owenfackrell Jul 18th, 2018 10:06

You don’t need to take the whole wing mirror off. If you remove the glass you can then take the surround off leaving the mechanism in place.

Father Ted Jul 22nd, 2018 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by owenfackrell (Post 2426709)
You don’t need to take the whole wing mirror off. If you remove the glass you can then take the surround off leaving the mechanism in place.

Thanks.
How easy does the glass come out?