Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: XC90 or Touareg? XC90 seems less reliable... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62263)

011ienw Dec 2nd, 2008 09:59

XC90 or Touareg? XC90 seems less reliable...

Always wanted an SUV/4x4, and have narrowed it down to the XC90 diesel (only the 2004/5 models are within my budget) or the Touareg 2004/5 2.5 diesel.

I'm a bit confused about the XC90 diesel engines, as reviews say the older 2.4D was worse than the D5 as such, but all used car listings I've seen state "XC90 2.4 D5 SE", so I cant work out which are the older diesels are which are true D5s.

I'm resigned to both the XC90 diesel and the Touareg 2.5tdi being noisy compared to the 3.0tdi Touareg, but one thing I'm very concerned about is the XC90 reliability, as most of the XC90 owners reviews I've read, particularly on whatcar.com, sound awful, with loads of engine, transmission and other problems, often outside of warranty, whereas the Touareg gets better reports.

Anyone had the same dilemna between these 2 cars, and which way did you go?

Cheers

stevieb_xc90 Dec 2nd, 2008 10:53

I am not in the sameposition as you but if you are really concerned about it do you really nead the 7 seats?

But overall a lot of the reviews mainly people who have had problems and the sample of the reviews will be biased as people who have had problem will generally speak up and complain but people who have had no problems say nothing.
But if it worth anything i have just went and purchased a 53 plate D5 even with the problems that have been mentioned i am confident that on the whole ownership should be ok. If problem happen, then it will fall back on the warrenty to sort them out

Steve

NI_Volvo_Nut Dec 2nd, 2008 15:48

Havent MOT'd too many of either yet, the Toerag in my opinion is a dose, few people i've spoke to who own then have said the same, prone to breakdown and expensive to repair, only spoken to 2 or 3 XC90 owners, and only came accross a handbrake fault on one, but thats common to Volvo especially the autos. Gerneally XC90 owners seem happy.

RoyMacDonald Dec 2nd, 2008 16:34

The XC90 has always had a D5 engine fitted. However the D5 engine was redesigned to meet the new euro emission requirments in 2005 I think. The 185bhp is the newer engine and is a euro 4, the older one was a euro 3.

As for reliability, mines been fine. (2003 XC90 D5 165bhp) I'd say there seem to be more old Volvos around than VW's but then I'm biased.

All the best.

Roy

GSMGuy Dec 2nd, 2008 22:35

Sorry, but the Toureg, apart from being fat and ugly..... Is not a patch on the XC90.... Although the 2.5Tdi V6 is a fair bit smoother than the D5 :(

Mike

languageservicesco Dec 3rd, 2008 12:15

XC90 versus Toureg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSMGuy (Post 431403)
Sorry, but the Toureg, apart from being fat and ugly..... Is not a patch on the XC90.... Although the 2.5Tdi V6 is a fair bit smoother than the D5 :(

Mike

Hi Mike,
Would you like to be a little more specific? I don't find the XC90 to be significantly better than the VWs I have owned, although I never drove a Toureg. And like you say, the diesel is definitely a better engine as far as smoothness (and power and fuel consumption?).

Cheers,
Kevin

GSMGuy Dec 3rd, 2008 15:26

I found the interior to be relatively "low rent" and the ride was as wallowy as a Disco..... Much worse than any other VAG product

Don't forget too, that almost everything is an "option" and the biggie - Only 5 seats... The Toureg has also taken a VERY heavy battering value wise, I've seen 04 Diesels with 70k and full history for sub £5K @ auction...

Mike

languageservicesco Dec 4th, 2008 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSMGuy (Post 431648)
I found the interior to be relatively "low rent" and the ride was as wallowy as a Disco..... Much worse than any other VAG product

Don't forget too, that almost everything is an "option" and the biggie - Only 5 seats... The Toureg has also taken a VERY heavy battering value wise, I've seen 04 Diesels with 70k and full history for sub £5K @ auction...

Mike

Thanks for that. I shall start feeling a bit superior then when parked next to a Touareg :-)

Kevin

JMP Dec 4th, 2008 23:22

Was having the same dilema about 3 months ago. Always was a Volvo guy until my VW Passat acquisition 6 years ago. Liked the Main dealer so much that I never moved back to Volvo...Until we had 3 kids under 18months and needed a big safe car that is.

Toureg 2.5d not a patch on the D5. Yes the interior quality may not be quite so high but the performance, economy, and not looking like a plonker image has a lot to go in it's favour (as well as the future proof 7 seats which aren't even optional on the VW). Also residuals of the XC seem better in comparison.

Servicing is also cheaper (approx £120 at my independent Volvo). Apparently to do the larger services on the Toureg the engine has to be taken out...don't quote me on that but that's what I've been told.

shimon340 Dec 5th, 2008 09:57

Having worked at the RAC, the VW group (VW and Audi) are the most likely brand to breakdown with electrical faults after Renault. Also, from extended warranty work, the Toureg is also a poor performer in terms of longevity and reliability and has very much above average number of common faults. Generally a particular car model will have 2 or 3 frequent problems or Achilles heels. The Toureg is more in the region of 10. Casting problems affect the heads on diesel models and affects a wide production range. You’re much better off with the XC90.