Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   "Bonnet Open" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=113613)

fenton_jd Jan 11th, 2011 23:00

"Bonnet Open"

Few days ago after shutting the bonnet the dash computer tells me the bonnet is still open. It's definitely closed propperly as you must pull the level in order to open it again

My T5's bonnet was a tad clunky to close compared to my 2.0d which I noticed in the dealer forecourt but thought nothing of it, now its done this? The catch is no different, just now gives the warning message.

Also, when locking with the remote the indicators no longer flash. They only flash when unlocking (computer menu had BOTH enabled)

Any ideas?

andy_d Jan 11th, 2011 23:06

the micro switch at the bonnet catch
either faulty or the bar/tag that sticks out to engage the catch is bent wrongly, or its covered in muck.. clean /bend/ replace as needed

stevo48 Jan 11th, 2011 23:06

have you checked the courtesy/alarm switch for the bonnet?

fenton_jd Jan 11th, 2011 23:23

I prodded around the catch and wiggled it a bit but didnt want to break anything.

Wheres this courtesy sensor then?

Thanks for the suggestions! :-)

andy_d Jan 11th, 2011 23:27

its usually right by the catch/latch on the slam panel, stevo+me on about the same thing btw

t5_monkey Jan 11th, 2011 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenton_jd (Post 815631)
Few days ago after shutting the bonnet the dash computer tells me the bonnet is still open. It's definitely closed propperly as you must pull the level in order to open it again

My T5's bonnet was a tad clunky to close compared to my 2.0d which I noticed in the dealer forecourt but thought nothing of it, now its done this? The catch is no different, just now gives the warning message.

Also, when locking with the remote the indicators no longer flash. They only flash when unlocking (computer menu had BOTH enabled)

Any ideas?

mine only flash when unlocking... didn't realize you could set that on the computer!

azibux1 Jan 12th, 2011 00:41

Sounds a bit of a stupid idea but I read it on this forum and a few people said it actually worked.

The switch may have got jammed, so what they done was hold it about 10 - 12 inches from shutting and slam it down. It solved a lot of peoples problems, and they were saying the same thing about the alarm lights, I think it was something to do with it not alarming properly as the circuit was open and slamming the bonnet fixed all this.

Its worth a try :D

Jonnieb2009 Jan 12th, 2011 12:48

I have had a few cars and the garages have always told me that when you put your bonnet down hold it 12" away and let drop rather than pushing on the bonnet for it to shut. I have always done this and have never had any issues.

rgds

J

fenton_jd Jan 12th, 2011 17:12

I full on slammed the bonnet shut and it echoed around my street. Sat in the car and:

"Bonnet Open"

fenton_jd Jan 16th, 2011 17:06

Now sorted - Kind of.

Took the black plastic catch lining off. There is a tiny lil red rubber switch which the catch wasnt quite touching when bonnet was shut.

Poked it with a screw driver and it no longer says "bonnet open", even if the bonnet IS open!.

I dont care anyway as I dont need a computer to tell me I just opened the bonnet.