Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : DPF regeneration/cleaning too often?!? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139443)

timebandit Nov 23rd, 2011 18:43

DPF regeneration/cleaning too often?!?

Hi

I own a Volvo V50 2.0D 2007 which I have big problems with.

The system starts the regeneration of the DPF all the time, no matter what. After the regeneration completes, it takes about 10 seconds for it to start again. Before the regeneration starts the diesel usage goes to 0.45 but as soon the regeneration starts again it goes up too 0.8.

This gives me choppy/stuttering driving and huge diesel usage. Currently 0.75-0.8l per 10km.

I have checked the DPF Pressure Sensor in VIDA and it seems all OK. Even if it looks OK on the graphs, can it be malfunction anyway?

What else can trigger the DPF regeneration?

The DPF was replaced at 120.000km and the car is now at 180.000km.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kensy

961 Nov 23rd, 2011 18:53

Clan (of this parish) may be able to help but as an initial thought, if it is the type that requires oil top up at 3rd service and replace dpf at 75000 miles, is the oil reservoir empty? Or does the unit require replacement?

timebandit Nov 23rd, 2011 19:22

The reservoir is not empty. It will be refilled at 180.000km next week anyways as it is in the service protocol.

The DPF should be replaced at 240.000km so I should have 60.000km left to use it.

How do I know if the DPF needs replacing? The pressure seems all OK and there are no blockage. There are no fault codes either.

I tried the function in VIDA to manually start the regeneration process and it did only help for about 1km, then it started the regeneration again.

benr7310 Nov 23rd, 2011 20:11

just get it removed.. much less hassle :)

timebandit Nov 23rd, 2011 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by benr7310 (Post 1032327)
just get it removed.. much less hassle :)

If I do it won't do the yealy control and will be driving baned or what it's called in english. So if the police stop me I will get high fines etc... Illegal driving.

Problem needs to be solved the correct way.

tayandre Nov 23rd, 2011 20:47

DPF pressure sensor. I had the same problem. You may also need to get your oil and filter changed as disel can contaminate the oil with it regenerating so often on cars with the non ELOYS dpf. Mine was done under warranty.

961 Nov 23rd, 2011 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by timebandit (Post 1032286)
The reservoir is not empty. It will be refilled at 180.000km next week anyways as it is in the service protocol.

In that case I suggest the service by the dealer will sort it next week

timebandit Nov 23rd, 2011 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayandre (Post 1032358)
DPF pressure sensor. I had the same problem. You may also need to get your oil and filter changed as disel can contaminate the oil with it regenerating so often on cars with the non ELOYS dpf. Mine was done under warranty.

If the engine oil is that dirty/contaminated, the pressure sensor should show an increase in pressure? The dirt does only affect the filter to be blocked or such. Thus the pressure sensor should show an increase pressure.

When checking the pressure sensor with DICE/VIDA the pressure sensor is all OK.

Or could it still be the pressure sensor?
Does the pressure sensor needs to be reprogrammed if changed?

Already talked to the Volvo mechanic that will do the regular service. They say they can't really do much as there are no fault codes and such. So my guess is that they won't find the problem.

961 Nov 23rd, 2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by timebandit (Post 1032377)
If the engine oil is that dirty/contaminated, the pressure sensor should show an increase in pressure? The dirt does only affect the filter to be blocked or such. Thus the pressure sensor should show an increase pressure.

When checking the pressure sensor with DICE/VIDA the pressure sensor is all OK.

Or could it still be the pressure sensor?
Does the pressure sensor needs to be reprogrammed if changed?

Already talked to the Volvo mechanic that will do the regular service. They say they can't really do much as there are no fault codes and such. So my guess is that they won't find the problem.

This is not the engine oil but the special oil that goes in to the dpf

If the local Volvo guy seems to be throwing up his hands and saying "Not me, no fault codes, can't fix" how far are you away from another guy that knows what he is talking about?

Incidentally, how do you (or the mechanic) know the DPF reservoir is not empty of ELOYS oil?

tayandre Nov 23rd, 2011 23:03

[QUOTE=961;1032381]This is not the engine oil but the special oil that goes in to the dpf [QUOTE]

I am talking about engine oil and DPF pressure sensor, not ELOYS and not oil pressure.

Newer DPFs (mine being one) do not have any "special oil" or ELOYS fluid. They inject diesel on the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF and actively regenerate it. That's what most newer models do instead of using ELOYS.

However, a 2007 model will not have the newer DPF so will have ELOYS fluid. Which since it's regenerating far too much the fluid may be low and the DPF may need replaced earlier than scheduled. I would hope Volvo would make a good will contribution to the cost of replacing both. You will not need engine oil replaced as you will not have any diesel contamination as you do not use diesel to regenerate.

My dealer took two attempts to fix it so I suggest the DPF pressure sensor does not show up a fault code. My thought is the ECU will think the pressure sensor is working perfectly and highlighting the DPF is full again and needs regenerated - even though it occurs every day. The ECU will show the many regenerations which should alert them to the sensor being faulty.

Since they changed the sensor, oil, filter and reset everything it has run perfectly. I only use the car at motorway speeds once or twice a week and it's not done an active regeneration in 6 weeks since it was fixed. It used to do it evey day virtually when the pressure sensor was faulty.