Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50. Petrol or Diesel? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150401)

JABB Apr 11th, 2012 21:42

V50. Petrol or Diesel?

Looking at a 2.0D sport, and thinking it would be the best option. Now, when comparing with the parkers running cost guide, although the fuel cost will be more, the servicing is a lot less on the petrol car.
Overall on 13k a year, the petrol 2.0 or 2.4 is cheaper to run than the 2.0D car.
Does this sound right, and should I look at petrol cars?

Daim Apr 11th, 2012 22:24

Well, me being a petrol head non diesel liker, I would say instantly "buy the petrol" but then depending on which petrol. A 2.4 without i isn't worth the hassle. It is greedy, a slug and basically produces far too little power. The 2.0l is the more modern construction with a more up to date design (though still rather old, late 90ies/early 2k).

The 2.0d can be cheaper, depending on which version you get. Euro 3 (without DPF) or Euro 4 (with DPF - though there are some without, a friend has a 2007 C30 2.0d with Euro 4 and no DPF, so look right :D). If with DPF, it will get very costy. Every 3 years (or 37.500 miles, what ever comes first) new Eloys additive and every 6 years (or 75.000 miles, what ever comes first) new DPF and Eloys. These cost cost cost and again cost.

So unless you find a 2.0d without DPF, I wouldn't get one. They get too dear to run, though they save on fuel costs.

GazT4 Apr 11th, 2012 22:45

I think most have no DPF, mine doesnt. Id never buy a petrol one as im a diesel head! Diesels are much more reliable in general, need less maintenance too.

Daim Apr 12th, 2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazT4 (Post 1137747)
I think most have no DPF, mine doesnt. Id never buy a petrol one as im a diesel head! Diesels are much more reliable in general, need less maintenance too.

Sorry, must hand in my veto here. A diesel used to be more reliable, as they weren't high tech things like today. The 2.0d suffers from many little illnesses (lack of power as tolerances are too sloppy, EGR blocking, turbochargers going "hop", throttle body seizing, leaks in the intake system (turbo piping), holes in the intercooler, leaks in fuel system sucking in air, failing altenators leaking injectors and other things). The service requirements are higher too. More oil is needed, regular fuelfilter changes, cambelt change bla bla.

There are I think 3 issues a 1.8 or 2.0l petrol can have:
1. eratic idling (solution: clean throttle body. Costs? About £10)
2. failing coil pack (replacement costs about £40 and is fitted within seconds)
3. failing altenator (but the same problem as the 2.0d and 1.6d have)

There is nothing else on those engines to go wrong. The 2.4l is a different thing. More can go wrong (VVT, more cylinders, more coilpacks, the throttle body regularly dies, etc.).

Service demand is even lower. No cambelt (timing chain needs to be inspected after 12 years/150.000 miles - only inspected! 9 times of 10 it is left and not even touched as it doesn't cause problems), spark plugs and airfilter every 3 years/37.500 miles, and a few bits and bobs.

My service costs for my 2.0l are well below those of 2.0ds. Even without the DPF on the 2.0d, the service costs exceed those of a 2.0l petrol...

That was my veto ;)

x DTR x Apr 12th, 2012 20:29

Hi, i am too looking at buying a 2.0l diesel but what is a DPF?

GazT4 Apr 12th, 2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1138432)
Sorry, must hand in my veto here. A diesel used to be more reliable, as they weren't high tech things like today. The 2.0d suffers from many little illnesses (lack of power as tolerances are too sloppy, EGR blocking, turbochargers going "hop", throttle body seizing, leaks in the intake system (turbo piping), holes in the intercooler, leaks in fuel system sucking in air, failing altenators leaking injectors and other things). The service requirements are higher too. More oil is needed, regular fuelfilter changes, cambelt change bla bla.

There are I think 3 issues a 1.8 or 2.0l petrol can have:
1. eratic idling (solution: clean throttle body. Costs? About £10)
2. failing coil pack (replacement costs about £40 and is fitted within seconds)
3. failing altenator (but the same problem as the 2.0d and 1.6d have)

There is nothing else on those engines to go wrong. The 2.4l is a different thing. More can go wrong (VVT, more cylinders, more coilpacks, the throttle body regularly dies, etc.).

Service demand is even lower. No cambelt (timing chain needs to be inspected after 12 years/150.000 miles - only inspected! 9 times of 10 it is left and not even touched as it doesn't cause problems), spark plugs and airfilter every 3 years/37.500 miles, and a few bits and bobs.

My service costs for my 2.0l are well below those of 2.0ds. Even without the DPF on the 2.0d, the service costs exceed those of a 2.0l petrol...

That was my veto ;)

Ah, its favouritism- you have a petrol, i have a diesel! :thumbs_up:

The only problem you have listed above that i know of being common on the diesel is the throttle body sticking, which can be fixed for free and very easily. Otherwise ive seen little or no other common problems with them. Injectors, leaking pipes, turbos? Ive heard of none of them?

My car has covered 153000miles, still pulls like a train and does over 50mpg (neither of which a 1.8/2.0 petrol does ;) ), so i dont know where you get sloppy tolerances from?

Also 2.0D timing belt isnt due until 150000 miles! You cant ask for better than that. Ive serviced my car myself and all parts were no more expensive than a petrol car would be, plus i dont have to buy or change spark plugs. Also, im sure diesel service intervals will be longer terms than petrol.

Tax costs less too, thanks to our low emission diesels (DPF versions maybe cheaper again?)

Diesel all day long for me! :thumbs_up:

Axionknight Apr 12th, 2012 20:38

Diesel particulate filter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Daim Apr 12th, 2012 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazT4 (Post 1138454)
Ah, its favouritism- you have a petrol, i have a diesel! :thumbs_up:

The only problem you have listed above that i know of being common on the diesel is the throttle body sticking, which can be fixed for free and very easily. Otherwise ive seen little or no other common problems with them. Injectors, leaking pipes, turbos? Ive heard of none of them?

My car has covered 153000miles, still pulls like a train and does over 50mpg (neither of which a 1.8/2.0 petrol does ;) ), so i dont know where you get sloppy tolerances from?

Also 2.0D timing belt isnt due until 150000 miles! You cant ask for better than that. Ive serviced my car myself and all parts were no more expensive than a petrol car would be, plus i dont have to buy or change spark plugs. Also, im sure diesel service intervals will be longer terms than petrol.

Tax costs less too, thanks to our low emission diesels (DPF versions maybe cheaper again?)

Diesel all day long for me! :thumbs_up:

Prefered...

Just some figures for service costs (Germany - amount of service is equal, no matter ehrte sold):
2.0d: 20k km/12.5k miles - €330
2.0l: 20k km/12.5k miles - €230

The 60k km/37.5k miles (plugs and other filters) costs €320. Still cheaper.

I know that I listed Euro prices, but you van basically convert them to quid too. These both done at same cheap dealership with original parts.

Oh, and 50 mpg? No. But 45 mpg in a more powerful nonturbo petrol isn't worth mentioning ;) Especially when achieved with ease. Around about 50 is managable zoo. You've just got to know how to. ;)

To each their own...
And
Coughs and sneazeals spread diesels :D

x DTR x Apr 12th, 2012 21:24

Thanks Axionknight for DPF info!

SonyVaio Apr 12th, 2012 21:30

Daim,

Don't forget the DMFs get eaten on a diesel too - well compared to the petrols anyway. Swirl flaps on relative models then there is glow plugs that lose their glow as well as EOLYS fluid that runs out (certain models granted). Then god forbid a fuel pump failure!

:star-wars-smiley-01