Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Frozen Washer reservoir?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170918)

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 11:19

Frozen Washer reservoir??

Hi,

Real newbie - only bought my XC60 yesterday (D5 AWD SE Premium Lux). Have been rushing to read manual and look at posts on the forum.

I don't know if I have heated nozzles (have heated seats!). So not sure whether someone can help. It was -3 degrees and on the trip home the washer fluid was working, then stopped at the front first, then the back after 3 more squirts. I got no low fluid warning (is there an indicator?). I filled the reservoir this morning with 75% mix (didn't need much, so had plenty of fluid in it already). Sprayed the nozzles with de-icer.

It is -4 degrees here today - still not working - is it likely that the actual reservoir is frozen (i.e the garage may have not put in a strong mix).

Will try to read about fuses, etc - but anyone have good advice on how to check what may be wrong (ie. is the reservoir frozen, or is it electrical?)

Thank you so much.

wimorrison Jan 17th, 2013 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlh (Post 1331020)
Hi,

Real newbie - only bought my XC60 yesterday (D5 AWD SE Premium Lux). Have been rushing to read manual and look at posts on the forum.

I don't know if I have heated nozzles (have heated seats!). So not sure whether someone can help. It was -3 degrees and on the trip home the washer fluid was working, then stopped at the front first, then the back after 3 more squirts. I got no low fluid warning (is there an indicator?). I filled the reservoir this morning with 75% mix (didn't need much, so had plenty of fluid in it already). Sprayed the nozzles with de-icer.

It is -4 degrees here today - still not working - is it likely that the actual reservoir is frozen (i.e the garage may have not put in a strong mix).

Will try to read about fuses, etc - but anyone have good advice on how to check what may be wrong (ie. is the reservoir frozen, or is it electrical?)

Thank you so much.

I suggest it is simply down to the fluid in the lines freezing as the dealer has not put the correct type of washer in the reservoir. I was caught by this a couple of years ago when we had -10+ for a few days and the fluid simply couldn't stay liquid.

The heated jets are obvious as you will see a thawed patch around the jets a period, but the lines are not warmed, therefore you can have nice clear jets but sill nothing coming out as the line is frozen. It is highly unlikely that the reservoir is frozen due to the position and the amount it holds - about 5 ltrs :)

It cured itself as the temperature warmed up :)

Welcome to your new car, you will enjoy it!

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 12:15

Hi thanks for the quick response.

I liked my V50 ... but I love my XC60 (after only 3 hours in it) - what a drive. Already suffered a "blocked" Blis camera on one side - the flashing very annoying, so turned off. Shame I didn't have a passenger to clean it!!

Well it's gonna be very cold for the next few days so will just have to take a big bottle of squeezy fluid with me and stick it out the window now and again!

simonjedrake Jan 17th, 2013 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlh (Post 1331051)
Hi thanks for the quick response.

I liked my V50 ... but I love my XC60 (after only 3 hours in it) - what a drive. Already suffered a "blocked" Blis camera on one side - the flashing very annoying, so turned off. Shame I didn't have a passenger to clean it!!

Well it's gonna be very cold for the next few days so will just have to take a big bottle of squeezy fluid with me and stick it out the window now and again!

...........or park it in an underground carpark/garage/etc until the lines unfreeze, then operate the washers for at least a few minutes to give you space in the reservoir to fill it up with NEAT concentrated fluid to get the overall concentration upto at least 50%.

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 13:25

Good idea, but not sure I can leave it in John Lewis overnight!! (sorry couldn't resist)

S60D5-185 Jan 17th, 2013 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlh (Post 1331020)
Hi,

Thank you so much.

I had exactly the same problem on my S60 yesterday. It was dangerous with restricted vision so i stopped and bought some concentrated screen wash and filled it to the brim with that. Been fine today and it's just as cold.

I reckon if you put a stronger mix in that will sort it for you.

Darryl:thumbs_up:

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 13:32

Yep - for sure. My only problem is, it was virtually full before I even managed to put anything in it. So will have to try and warm it up a little somewhere and start getting rid of it.

You'd have thought the dealer would have been a bit more sensible - saw the car last week and they prepped it during this long cold snap!! Hopefully, it is just a temperature thing.

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 18:15

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone tried warming up the washing fluid hoses - can they easily seen and maybe use a hairdryer!!

Again, haven't had a chance to have a real look yet - but you guys seem to know all the tricks :-)

wimorrison Jan 17th, 2013 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlh (Post 1331103)
Yep - for sure. My only problem is, it was virtually full before I even managed to put anything in it. So will have to try and warm it up a little somewhere and start getting rid of it.

You'd have thought the dealer would have been a bit more sensible - saw the car last week and they prepped it during this long cold snap!! Hopefully, it is just a temperature thing.

Try siphoning the reservoir empty then refill with antifreeze based screen wash.

The pipes are all hidden under the noise suppression, I guess you could take that off if you wanted - or go for a run in the car, the engine heat will thaw them out and if you have refilled the reservoir then they won't freeze again :)

carlh Jan 17th, 2013 18:32

Thanks - I think I'll try siphoning. I drove for 2 hours yesterday and it didn't work for nearly all that time, so don't think engine heat is going to work. Just too cold I guess, or worse there is a more serious problem. Will try and work it out this weekend. Thx for reply.