Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Electrics: 850: Fitting remote locking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40528)

Ewan Jul 13th, 2007 00:09

Fitting remote locking

My 1996 850 Estate does not have remote central locking, or at least I never got any remote fobs when I bought it. There is a thing in the middle of the dash near the screen with an LED on it.
I've had a look under the dash at the relays but I've no idea what I'm looking for. I've seen the relay on Ebay but there is nothing like that under the dash. I've been told it could be behind the glovebox but can't find it there either.
Is it a simple case of getting the fobs and a relay and plugging it in?

Hughvo Jul 13th, 2007 05:52

Hi Ewan

I have a MY97 850 (with the "V" year code in the VIN). When I bought it, it did not have any remote central locking. However after looking carefully into this I found out that for the 97 model 850s, Volvo changed their remote central locking system from the receiver behind the glove box system to a cut-down version of the Guard Alarm II system installed on US 850s.

This newer remote central locking had a dedicated double size relay (P/N 9177999) which is installed into a specific location in the relay base in the driver's footwell (I can post an image of where it has to go if needed). I read somewhere that this system uses one of the wires of either the boot or rear door locking motor as its antenna which gives it a better range than the older system.

There is also a dedicated fob (P/N 9442981) which opens and closes the doors using the same button. There is no alarm associated with this remote central locking system.

I checked out the cost of the relay from my local dealer here in Adelaide, South Australia and also from dealers in the UK and Sweden, but they were very very very expensive. I then checked out a very good on-line Swedish spare parts locating service (www.lagabasen.se) where, following the simple instructions (albeit in Swedish), I put in the part number (9177999) and located two Swedish wreckers that had the relay. I was able to get it shipped "down under" for AUD$85.

All I needed to do was install the relay, and using the widley available fob programming instructions (switching ignition key to position II at least five times in 10 secs etc etc) I was able to program the relay to the 9442981 fob, which I had bought brand new but they available on ebay, but you must carefully check the part number to make sure it is the 9442981 fob.

I see you mention your 850 is a 96 - do you mean it was built in 96 (like mine was even though mine is a MY97) or a MY96 with a "T" year code)? I would check to see if the age letter of your VIN is a "V", and if so this makes it a MY97 and you could use the 9177999/9442981 relay/fob combination to get you your central locking. If however you have an earlier year, I can't say if the above will work or not.

Regards

Hughvo

jeremycolley Jul 13th, 2007 08:18

remote fob

Try calling a Volvo dealer. I ordered a new key and fob for my 96 850 and old had to quote the registration number of the car for them to identify the correct part numbers and order them. They should be able to tell you what the spec of the car is from the reg no (or VIN)

Jeremy

John J Jul 13th, 2007 19:47

My 94 850 doesn't have remote locking (I have the original full set of keys and they aren't remote fobs) but does have a LED on the dash. It was a demonstrator model and is fitted with a stage 1 Volvo alarm/immobiliser. So the presence of a LED doesn't mean the car is capable of remote locking.

When you lock the car watch the LED. If it does nothing when you just lock the doors but starts to flash when you turn the key fully anti-clockwise (you can hear the doors deadlock) then it is probably just an immobiliser.

Ewan Jul 14th, 2007 23:50

Thanks for the info. I will check my VIN plate tomorrow but I think it was manufactured in 1996 as I checked on Autodata and they don't list the TDI as being manufactured in 1997. A photo of the relay and where it is fitted would be very handy if it's not too much trouble.
I have a Volvo breaker not far from me so I may drop in there and ask their advice.
As for the LED - it does nothing. No matter if the doors are open, locked or deadlocked.
I just find it hard to believe that a car with air con, traction control and the winter pack would come without remote central locking!

Ewan