Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D3 Dipstick location (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99249)

Daleman Jul 1st, 2010 18:34

D3 Dipstick location

1 Attachment(s)
Hearing all the controversy of rising oil levels I wondered if I would be able to check the oil level manually on my D3 engine .

There does appear to be a dipstick with two pronged clamps to keep it firmly in its location.

Can anyone familiar with the D range confirm this is the correct dipstick upon looking at the photo of it please?

Daleman Jul 1st, 2010 21:39

1 Attachment(s)
This is a better photo of oil level dipstick on the D3 is this the same position as on 2010 2.4 & D5?

wimorrison Jul 1st, 2010 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daleman (Post 697783)
This is a better photo of oil level dipstick on the D3 is this the same position as on 2010 2.4 & D5?

yep looks like the same one :) - hadn't noticed the clips before though (have to admit I haven't really looked)

Daleman Jul 1st, 2010 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 697790)
yep looks like the same one :) - hadn't noticed the clips before though (have to admit I haven't really looked)

wimorrison Do you ever check your oil level using this awkwardly located dip stick or do you rely on the electronic level indicator?

What do others do?

Clan Jul 1st, 2010 22:07

The dipstick is only for "service use" you should rely on the electronic readout Its highly sophistcated it works on the ultrasonic sonar principle AND it will warn you if the level is too high :-)

dodgyblue Jul 2nd, 2010 00:20

Yup its the same on my D5. And I wouldn't trust the electronic dipstick ..

r-designbob Jul 2nd, 2010 01:02

I'm not sure I could resist using the dipstick, the tried and trusted way for years.

Clan Jul 2nd, 2010 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyblue (Post 697933)
Yup its the same on my D5. And I wouldn't trust the electronic dipstick ..

why wouldnt you trust it ? Have you tested it by comparing the readout with the actual level ? easy enough . Remember it can take 20 miles to stabalise after an oil change . It is not just a float it sends ultrasonic waves from the bottom to the top of the oil and works out how long the signal takes to be bounced back and averages it out .. quite sophisticated ..

Jack_of_all Jul 2nd, 2010 08:02

"just one ping capt'n"

i just have visions of being a u-boat captain, and sending a single ping to establish where the enemy are...like on the films.

great :)

Daleman Jul 2nd, 2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_of_all (Post 697988)
"just one ping capt'n"

i just have visions of being a u-boat captain, and sending a single ping to establish where the enemy are...like on the films.

great :)

The enemy is the DPF!