Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Body/Trim: 140: Window Winder Handle (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307191)

Burdekin Jun 21st, 2020 19:18

Window Winder Handle

One of the window winders won’t come off and oh I tried to get it off. So what should taken no time at all I spent ages and still no luck. Is there something that can go wrong with them that stops them coming off or is it most likely been glued or rusted on?

Triple-S Jun 21st, 2020 20:39

If original there were two types, one with a flattened finger-grip the other a rotating knurled wheel. Both were fitted with those infamous nappy-type omega clips (but bigger than Amazon ones). They were never intended to be glued on but who knows what happened in the past.
If you've removed the clip (itself a challenge) and you don't break it (its only a casting) I have spares, but not the clip - I remember loosing mine on the lawn.

P

Burdekin Jun 21st, 2020 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2641097)
If original there were two types, one with a flattened finger-grip the other a rotating knurled wheel. Both were fitted with those infamous nappy-type omega clips (but bigger than Amazon ones). They were never intended to be glued on but who knows what happened in the past.
If you've removed the clip (itself a challenge) and you don't break it (its only a casting) I have spares, but not the clip - I remember loosing mine on the lawn.

P

Thanks Paul. One came off no bother, the other isn’t budging. I can get spare clips but was worried about wrecking the handle. Thanks for the offer of a handle, will take you up on it if I brake mine. Not got the clip out, I didn’t want to destroy anything without knowing I could get a spare. Might see if a slide hammer will work, if not might have to get serious.

Triple-S Jun 21st, 2020 21:26

So you learned the procedure on the easy-to-move one! If you can't borrow grandma's rug-making hook thing to pull the clip out, with a snub-nosed screwdriver try carefully tapping the clip on an upstanding leg downwards. Don't do it on the lawn though - you'll loose the clip if it all springs off!

P

Burdekin Jun 23rd, 2020 20:29

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Paul,

Would you have a couple of the washer/cups that are for the spring behind the window winder handle spacer?

Derek UK Jun 25th, 2020 10:41

I can remember reading that the poster had used a sock, which he dragged through the gap between the handle and the spacer. Bonus, the sock retained the clip. Not tried it. I've never had problems with removal on an Amazon other than the odd clip pinging out, not lost any though. There is an "official" tool for this but pretty easy to duplicate from a bit of thin aluminium. The crotchet hook mentioned does of course work but you can only use it to pull after you've pushed the legs in a bit. Remember, if you haven't done it before, that when refitting you can just fit the clip and give the handle a whack with your hand after putting it on the shaft.
Tip of the week: If you tie a loop of strong cotton/carpet thread to the clip you will always be able to just pull it out. The loop hides behind the handle.

Burdekin Jun 25th, 2020 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek UK (Post 2642134)
I can remember reading that the poster had used a sock, which he dragged through the gap between the handle and the spacer. Bonus, the sock retained the clip. Not tried it. I've never had problems with removal on an Amazon other than the odd clip pinging out, not lost any though. There is an "official" tool for this but pretty easy to duplicate from a bit of thin aluminium. The crotchet hook mentioned does of course work but you can only use it to pull after you've pushed the legs in a bit. Remember, if you haven't done it before, that when refitting you can just fit the clip and give the handle a whack with your hand after putting it on the shaft.
Tip of the week: If you tie a loop of strong cotton/carpet thread to the clip you will always be able to just pull it out. The loop hides behind the handle.

I’ve since learned that the washer/cup thingy is supposed to go between the door and spring, that is how the green book shows it anyhow. However on my NS door it was fitted inside of the spacer behind the window winder, this actually meant the clip could be easily slid to the side and the handle popped off. That’s my tip if you want to easily remove them later on.