Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Electrics : Electrical issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287355)

ianwlfc96 Oct 10th, 2018 20:25

Electrical issues

Good evening all,

2005 Volvo V50 2.0d 180000+ miles

I hope that somebody can help me.

I have recently changed my passenger headlight full unit along with the plug as it was all corroded, all the wires were rejoined colour for colour and soldered them together. The headlight works fine.

Now the interesting part, when I put my key in the ignition turn it to stage 2 no lights on the dash no clocks nothing!! Until the interior light goes out then it all comes to life?? While I'm driving if you turn the interior light on all the dash goes off again??

Another thing it has started to do is now and again it is almost like someone has turned the car off for a split second which is quit unerring.

If I just turn the key straight to turn it over it all flickers then comes to life. The car starts regardless of what I do so no issues there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clan Oct 10th, 2018 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwlfc96 (Post 2456071)
Good evening all,

2005 Volvo V50 2.0d 180000+ miles

I hope that somebody can help me.

I have recently changed my passenger headlight full unit along with the plug as it was all corroded, all the wires were rejoined colour for colour and soldered them together. The headlight works fine.

Now the interesting part, when I put my key in the ignition turn it to stage 2 no lights on the dash no clocks nothing!! Until the interior light goes out then it all comes to life?? While I'm driving if you turn the interior light on all the dash goes off again??

Another thing it has started to do is now and again it is almost like someone has turned the car off for a split second which is quit unerring.

If I just turn the key straight to turn it over it all flickers then comes to life. The car starts regardless of what I do so no issues there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

so what happens if you unplug the headlight?

ianwlfc96 Oct 10th, 2018 21:09

I've tried that, it stays the same unfortunately.

Clan Oct 10th, 2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwlfc96 (Post 2456102)
I've tried that, it stays the same unfortunately.

In that case favourite is a faulty ignition switch they have improved it twice since 2004 .

ianwlfc96 Oct 10th, 2018 21:24

Thanks Clan, are they easy enough to fit?

Clan Oct 10th, 2018 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwlfc96 (Post 2456112)
Thanks Clan, are they easy enough to fit?

It depends on your skills ! there are two torx screws behind , you need to take out the instruments and dash underpanels and loosen screws holding the dash around the steering wheel area then stretch it out to allow you to get behind the left stalk to get access you can get one screw out from behind the instruments but need certain length torx drives and extensions and a mini ratchet ..

ianwlfc96 Oct 10th, 2018 21:38

Beyond my skills that haha, how expensive are they?

Clan Oct 11th, 2018 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwlfc96 (Post 2456116)
Beyond my skills that haha, how expensive are they?

about £100 I guess , the last one I did a few years ago was £80

FunkyMelon Oct 11th, 2018 08:42

Around £200 from memory unless you can haggle the price.

Around an 1-2 hours to fit for a Volvo tech that knows what they're doing.

LizardOfBodom Oct 11th, 2018 10:00

Clan may be right about the part, as it commonly goes bad, but that sentence does not fit the symptoms to me

"While I'm driving if you turn the interior light on all the dash goes off again??"

so do I understand correctly that when car is on and engine is working, you can provoke dash to go off just by turning the interior light?
Does it stay off until you switch the light back off?
Does the rev needle and fuel gauge "dies" when that happens?

Just to double check before digging into the SCU...