Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Are my lights on?!?! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272708)

DaveYeaman Sep 14th, 2017 01:37

Are my lights on?!?!

OK, I'm sure this may have been asked before, but how do you tell if your headlights have been turned on when in automatic mode? There appears to be no light on the dash that illuminates to indicate they've been put on. On other cars I've had that have this function, they do this. Do Volvo's not do this? Thanks in advance, Dave.

NigelDay Sep 14th, 2017 07:45

There is no indication. A well-discussed issue !

chrisnoy Sep 14th, 2017 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelDay (Post 2318151)
There is no indication. A well-discussed issue !

A big problem when it's foggy and bright, you can't tell if your main lights are on so you have to switch on manually. Caught me out a few times.

wimorrison Sep 14th, 2017 08:42

If it is foggy you should have your rear fog lamp on, that automatically switches on dipped headlights :)

v70stu Sep 14th, 2017 08:58

Only if visibility is seriously reduced, which leaves the problem when it is sunny with low fog or spray, etc.

844PHW Sep 14th, 2017 09:16

I guess that the volvo philosophy is that your lights will always be on.

wimorrison Sep 14th, 2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by v70stu (Post 2318172)
Only if visibility is seriously reduced, which leaves the problem when it is sunny with low fog or spray, etc.

if there is low spray then you should have the rear fog on as the spray obscures the rear lights.

But with the Volvo having high rear lights this isn't an issue, plus the front DRLs are sufficient for you to be seen by oncoming vehicles.

Headlights are now for you to see with, the days when they were required for others to see you have passed with the introduction of DRLs - that was the idea of introducing DRLs :)

noodle1066 Sep 14th, 2017 14:28

With the exception that most cars with DRL's only have front illumination.

Which is ridiculous when driving towards the sun or in rain, as you cannot see the vehicle in front as easy.

People seem these days to think that as they have DRL's they do not need to think until they cannot see in front of them. Without any thought for other road users.

Tannaton Sep 15th, 2017 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 2318183)
if there is low spray then you should have the rear fog on as the spray obscures the rear lights.

But with the Volvo having high rear lights this isn't an issue, plus the front DRLs are sufficient for you to be seen by oncoming vehicles.

Headlights are now for you to see with, the days when they were required for others to see you have passed with the introduction of DRLs - that was the idea of introducing DRLs :)

The rule is fog lights (front or rear) should be used only when visibility is less than 100m / 330 feet and switched off when visibility improves.

Generally fog lights are lower than the stop or position lamps - to mitigate dazzling other drivers at junctions etc

Fellwalker Sep 15th, 2017 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2318416)
The rule is fog lights (front or rear) should be used only when visibility is less than 100m / 330 feet and switched off when visibility improves.

Generally fog lights are lower than the stop or position lamps - to mitigate dazzling other drivers at junctions etc

The Highway Code rules for driving in adverse weather conditions
Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

The Volvo system of giving no indication whatsoever to the driver of the condition of their dipped headlights is one of the most annoying "features" of the car. The only way to tell is the reflection from the car in front!