Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Generic Parts for Sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   VCX diagnostic tool £79 inc p&p. Offers? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313004)

palwing Jan 3rd, 2021 12:59

VCX diagnostic tool £79 inc p&p. Offers?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all. As many of you will know, my health is poor due to an idiot of a surgeon who mutilated me (and others!!) in January last year. Since then I have been treading water waiting for some sort of surgery to bodge a repair of sorts. Meanwhile, my life hangs in the balance and things are likely to “kick off” in the next few weeks, if the hospital keep to their word. (Debatable) My future is very much 50/50 if I survive the summer.

Anyway, I bought a VCX diagnostic tool From Cheshired5 on this forum, in the hope I might use it one day. However, it was not meant to be as I was never healthy enough to use it. I have never used it and it is as received from Cheshired5.

So the first offer of around £79 (incl P&P) can have it.

You will get a VCX diagnostic tool which plugs into the car diagnostic port, the lead to connect the VCX with the laptop. Cheshired5 is a great guy to deal with an no doubt help with the software links or I can forward what he sent to me.

See the pics.

If you are after one of these, no doubt you will know how useful it can be and what to do with it.

Kind regards to you all and happy new year.

BlueRubber Jan 7th, 2021 17:14

Sorry to hear about your health problems, that sound awful and we all hope your surgery goes well.

Out of interest does this VCX diagnostic tool provide any advantages over VIDA?

palwing Jan 7th, 2021 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRubber (Post 2696005)
Sorry to hear about your health problems, that sound awful and we all hope your surgery goes well.

Hi. As far as I know, these are one and the same thing. The VCX is the interface that goes between the laptop and the car OBD port. Then you run a Virtual machine software to get VIDA diagnostics. I have asked Cheshired5 if he would be kind enough to answer your question.

Thanks and kind regards.

cheshired5 Jan 7th, 2021 17:32

Vida is the main dealer software.

The VCX plugs into the car and interacts with Vida the same as a Dice tool.

HDAV Jan 7th, 2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2696017)
Vida is the main dealer software.

The VCX plugs into the car and interacts with Vida the same as a Dice tool.

So what else is needed to make it work? Will it do EPB service mode on. 2016/17MY xc60? Interested subject to knowing what years it supports and what else is needed to get it running

Patrik96 Jan 8th, 2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by palwing (Post 2696012)
Hi. As far as I know, these are one and the same thing. The VCX is the interface that goes between the laptop and the car OBD port. Then you run a Virtual machine software to get VIDA diagnostics. I have asked Cheshired5 if he would be kind enough to answer your question.

Thanks and kind regards.

Sent you a private message :teeth_smile:

cheshired5 Jan 8th, 2021 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2696021)
Will it do EPB service mode on. 2016/17MY xc60?

Not interacting with Vida as Vida is for 1999-2015 with some model exceptions at either end e.g. no support for SPA platform.

2016/17 would need VDash software and this tool or Dice.

paddy74 Jan 8th, 2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRubber (Post 2696005)
[...]

You're mixing some things here. ;)

DICE (or any other "dongle" that works with VIDA, like the VCX dongle) is the tool you need, to speak with your car, it is the physical device to make a connection.

VIDA is the software, to make any sense of the data, that comes from the car. It is, simply spoken, the translator for your instructions to the car and for the answers the car gives to you.

The advantages with a VCX compared to the "original" (or China clone) DICE are a few:
  • VCX can run with bluetooth, so no cables to fall :D
  • VCX can be upgraded, what is not so easy with the DICE, especially if the DICE is not original...
  • Newer components are used to built it. The DICE and the China clones are basically built with the same components like in 2005 or so. VCX is now three or four years old, computers are very different nowadays. Think about using a laptop that is 15 years old. Not much power for new games... :D

All in all if you can get your hands on a VCX for a good price, take it. If you have a running DICE, stick with it until it brakes or you win the lottery :D

EDIT: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300171 :D

HDAV Jan 8th, 2021 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2696311)
Not interacting with Vida as Vida is for 1999-2015 with some model exceptions at either end e.g. no support for SPA platform.

2016/17 would need VDash software and this tool or Dice.

Ok thanks will look into vdash and costs so for my 17 plate xc60 vcx and vdash will do most things I need to?

Borrowed an angry jester tool for the weekend to do EPB and have a play with some features on other cars it’s wireless and easy to use but has far more capabilities than I could ever need the accompanying documents in Vida are really useful does vdash have these.

cheshired5 Jan 8th, 2021 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2696406)
the accompanying documents in Vida are really useful does vdash have these.

Not that I've seen.
Vida is the offline version of the main dealer software and models from 2016 still use it but it's online only for them via dealers so not available to the general public.

VDash is a very good but non official program so doesn't have the same content and functionality.
Still worthwhile in the absence of anything official.