Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Driving in France (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98716)

UKDave Jun 24th, 2010 08:44

Driving in France

We are going to France this weekend for 2 weeks. Finally I have a car where I don't need to mess with the headlights.

Anyhow, I have the integrated satnav with the control box under the boot floor and the software comes on 4 discs. Following another users suggestion that if I waited to get to France and wanted a postcode, I would need to insert a different disc, I entered all the destinations a few days ago. However, I still have not been asked to insert any other disc than the current UK one. The system seems to have all the data it needs, so I have 2 questions.

1. Will I need to insert the other disc at some stage, if so, I would rather do it now, ie should I put the disc with France in before I go?
2. If I don't need the other discs, what are they for?

Cheers.

adambsmith Jun 24th, 2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKDave (Post 693291)
We are going to France this weekend for 2 weeks. Finally I have a car where I don't need to mess with the headlights.

Anyhow, I have the integrated satnav with the control box under the boot floor and the software comes on 4 discs. Following another users suggestion that if I waited to get to France and wanted a postcode, I would need to insert a different disc, I entered all the destinations a few days ago. However, I still have not been asked to insert any other disc than the current UK one. The system seems to have all the data it needs, so I have 2 questions.

1. Will I need to insert the other disc at some stage, if so, I would rather do it now, ie should I put the disc with France in before I go?
2. If I don't need the other discs, what are they for?

Cheers.

I think France is already included on the disk you have in the drive. IIRC, it has UK, Ireland, France, Spain and Portugal already on the one disc.

You can see the countries covered either on the disc itself or in the settings menu and the option for 'about' or something similar.

The other discs are for other areas of Europe - again it should say on the disc what each one is for.

UKDave Jun 24th, 2010 09:07

We are sailing Hull=>Zeebrugge, Will it expect the Dutch map?, or can I drive through to France OK. I think someone said that all the roads were on each disc, you only needed to change it if you wanted to access addresses and post codes?

adambsmith Jun 24th, 2010 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKDave (Post 693303)
We are sailing Hull=>Zeebrugge, Will it expect the Dutch map?, or can I drive through to France OK. I think someone said that all the roads were on each disc, you only needed to change it if you wanted to access addresses and post codes?

Might be worth lobbing the discs in your glove box if you're going Dutch. Just in case.

UKDave Jun 24th, 2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambsmith (Post 693305)
Might be worth lobbing the discs in your glove box if you're going Dutch. Just in case.

I always carry all the discs with me, it's the location of the dvd drive that's the issue when you have a boot full of luggage and 2 bikes on the back !

tem Jun 24th, 2010 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKDave (Post 693303)

If you have saved all your destinations and way points, you can run with any of the 4 disc's installed.
Each disc covers the whole road network.
You will only have to put in another disc, if you wish another destination, that is not covered, by the installed one.

Took issue with VUK when I first took delivery of the XC60, about location of the DVD unit.
Just think of the hassle of having to change a disc, with a boot full of baggage and equipment and it is raining, etc.

tem.

tem Jun 24th, 2010 22:37

Be careful with the drinks, while on P&O.

Last year I was breathalysed 4 times (as was every other driver), when travelling with DFDS, to the Netherlands.

Rumor, has it, the Belgium police, may be implementing, the same policy.

So far, this year, I have not had any problems (Two landings in the Netherlands and One in Belgium).

Next trip. 21st August, landing in the Netherlands.

Final observation, watch your speed while on the French Motorways, exceed and it could cost you, a Euro 400, instant fine.

Happy holiday.

tem.

XC60KEV Jun 25th, 2010 07:51

Did they breathalize you/other drivers whilst disembarking or on the road close to terminal?

tem Jun 25th, 2010 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj5cott (Post 693866)
Did they breathalize you/other drivers whilst disembarking or on the road close to terminal?

Within the terminal, after going through Passport Control.

tem.

Slickfingers Jun 25th, 2010 18:55

Landing on the continent

I was travelling on the Hull - Rotterdam in March this year and over the years have done so many times. For the first time the Police were out in force (approx 15 - 20) and they breathalysed every single driver!! So those that like a little tipple on the overnight ferry, beware - fines in Holland can be extreme. That applies to speeding too. I have known friends caught speeding in Belgium who have been taken to the nearest cash point to pay rather heavy fines!