Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Coolant confusion from main Dealers!!!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296744)

Captaintomo Jul 18th, 2019 13:56

Coolant confusion from main Dealers!!!!

I have a 2010 1.6D C30 and im wanting to do a coolant flush/change because god knows how old it is and what's even in it.

General consensus is to use Volvo coolant from what i've read.

I went into the dealer to buy enough to make 8L because my manual states the system takes 7.2L. Told that to the parts chap and he looked confused saying most sytems are only like 3L?!?! I made it clear i want to do a complete drain not just a top up. So off he went and bought me back a 4L ready mixed bottle. He told me he even talked to a mechanic and he said the same. I told him but how will this fill up my system if its ready mixed, and he says its very strong stuff, you just pour it in and top it up!

Im so confused why he thinks this is the case?!?!

I either need 8L of ready mixed of a 4L concentrate bottle to do the whole system.

Puts you off using dealers this kinda stuff.

Not sure what to do with my 1 bottle of ready mixed stuff now haha. :confused_smile:

StatusRed Jul 18th, 2019 14:06

There is only 1 Volvo coolant from my understanding...

I recently flushed the coolant in my C70, ordered genuine Volvo stuff from FRF, pretty sure it was a 4L CONCENTRATED pack, system was also about 7L required.

Captaintomo Jul 18th, 2019 14:11

Looking online there isn't much option in the way of coolant from volvo. Ive seen a couple stores selling concentrate and a couple selling ready mixed and even then it isn't obvious.

I have however defintley been sold 4 Litres of ready mixed. Even says on the back that it is a 50/50 mix.

How the guy thought that would be enough for a full system is beyond me.

Petey80 Jul 18th, 2019 14:13

According to the manual - https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...EN_tp11698.pdf

It should be about 5.8 litres for 1.6 and 6.2 litres for a D2.

Captaintomo Jul 18th, 2019 14:17

I have a 1.6 Diesel and a C30. My Manual states 7.2L

Anyone used Comma G64?

Clan Jul 18th, 2019 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captaintomo (Post 2537364)
Looking online there isn't much option in the way of coolant from volvo. Ive seen a couple stores selling concentrate and a couple selling ready mixed and even then it isn't obvious.

I have however defintley been sold 4 Litres of ready mixed. Even says on the back that it is a 50/50 mix.

How the guy thought that would be enough for a full system is beyond me.

It's pretty universal that volvo sell 4 litre and 1 litre bottles of concentrated which need diluting 50 - 50 ... Volvo do supply ready mixed but it is very rare . why do they stock this? It would be interesting to know the price of it , perhaps they find it more profitable .

Captaintomo Jul 18th, 2019 15:55

The 4L of ready mixed stuff cost me just shy of £15. I feel robbed. I think I'll return it tomorrow.

Perhaps he reckons 4L would be enough because they just tends to drain the radiator side of the cooling system and not a full flush out. Who knows.

Clan Jul 18th, 2019 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captaintomo (Post 2537401)
The 4L of ready mixed stuff cost me just shy of £15. I feel robbed. I think I'll return it tomorrow.

yes you could have used 2 x 1 litres and mixed it yourself for quite a bit less . so it IS for profiteering ..

Captaintomo Jul 18th, 2019 15:59

When I even bought up the fact i wanted concentrate he seemed confused. What a bizzare day. :regular_smile:

Clan Jul 18th, 2019 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captaintomo (Post 2537404)
When I even bought up the fact i wanted concentrate he seemed confused. What a bizzare day. :regular_smile:

he hasn't done his training courses ...