Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Xc90 purchase (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300839)

Tineca Nov 21st, 2019 20:26

Xc90 purchase

Hi I am trading in my S80 for an xc90. I have put a deposit on it. It's a 2011 r design. I didn't know how to activate the sat nav when I test drove it. I have just phoned the seller to arrange collection and asked him if the day nav works.. He said he thinks there is no disc in it. I can swap the disc from my s80 but will it work? If the drive is broke is it a simple part to replace?. On my s80 there are controls on the back of the steering wheel. How do is it work I the xc90. Thanks jed

CondorXC90 Nov 21st, 2019 21:03

The sat nav is likely under the passenger seat. Discs can be obtained via ebay - I think there are two, and one stays in the unit. My 2008 also has controls to the rear of the steering wheel and a grey remote control which operates the unit. I think they are quite complex units to replace and will need coding, so I hope yours just needs a disc set and remote.

Unless the purchase of the car was a bargain basement price, I would be insisting that the dealer presented it to me working and with the discs .........

Tineca Nov 21st, 2019 21:21

Thanks that's helpful it's not a bad price. I am hoping the disc will do the job . Thanks for your help

eaf Nov 22nd, 2019 08:23

I've got a 2012, did the sat nav pop up when you turned the ignition on? I think they are all ment to and you press the button at the back of the steering wheel to get it down again.

There should be 2 discs and 1 stays in the unit at all times, under the passenger seat

CondorXC90 Nov 22nd, 2019 10:38

I think the satnav sets itself back to the position it was when you last turned off the ignition. So if it was down and off, it stays off until switched on again. But if it was up, it will pop up again when the ignition is switched on again.

The controls behind the steering wheel or the grey remote control can be used to turn it on or off as you wish.

Tineca Nov 22nd, 2019 21:21

Just picked it up and sat nav all working so that's good!! Dealer had no idea how to work it. Car drove 90 miles home perfect at 80mph most of the way. It says I am getting 33.7 mpg. Services in abundance in the history, had swirl arm, can belt 4 new Pirelli tyres and huge service including new brake fluid and pollen filter etc. New discs and pads. Only minor fault so far is some dash bulbs out on half the phone buttons and the fm radio button. Any ideas on how to fix these? It's a lovely car. My s80 lux that I traded in was lovey but a bit old chap. This r design is more modern . Thanks for your help.

SwissXC90 Nov 23rd, 2019 05:37

To fix the failed radio illumination, remove the radio and replace the bulbs

Tineca Nov 23rd, 2019 08:19

Can you help me a bit more swiss, is there a procedure? Thanks jed

SwissXC90 Nov 23rd, 2019 08:40

Yes, the procedure is:

1. Disconnect the car battery
2. Remove the radio. Refer to VIDA or YouTube for full removal steps
3. Remove and test each illumination lamp
4. Replace faulty lamps with either genuine Volvo lamps from your dealer or an equivalent from an electronics shop
5. Refit radio
6. Reconnect battery

Important: you must disconnect the battery otherwise you will have an airbag fault lamp

Odysseus Nov 23rd, 2019 09:14

Notwithstanding a few minor faults, it sounds like a great car. Congratulations on the purchase!

Got any pictures of it to show us? :regular_smile: