Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Suspension Which ball joints (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301188)

Bashy Dec 3rd, 2019 03:21

Which ball joints

Hi folks, the cars previous MOT had this as an advisory;

Slight Play in Both Front Suspension Arms

Of which sounds about right as i can hear/feel the knock from both sides, also the car feels likes its skipping (prob a better name for it) a little when on near full lock and its cold

Any ideas as to which ball joints will need doing, will i need 2 new sub frames or can you buy the bj's separately please?

Model flyer Dec 4th, 2019 16:32

You can replace the bottom ball joints . the originals are riveted and you have to grid the rivet heads off to remove . New one bolt in. You can also buy lower arms for not much money .

Bashy Dec 5th, 2019 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model flyer (Post 2577847)
You can replace the bottom ball joints . the originals are riveted and you have to grid the rivet heads off to remove . New one bolt in. You can also buy lower arms for not much money .

Thank you, i shall have to have a look to see in case they've been previously replaced :)

EDIT, Are the lower arms different to the lower ball joint, what i mean is, is there something else that the lower ball joints attach to? Damn, still does not sound right, its hard to ask what i mean so i hope you get it? I think i have figured it out, partly, the ball joint end (single nut) goes in to the lower arms, but where i was getting lost is the part where the LBJ bolts on to with the 3 bolts?

Tannaton Dec 5th, 2019 06:39

The hopping on full lock is likely related to worn bushes, so easier and best to replace the lower arms and ball joints as one assembly.

I would strongly advise against cheap pattern parts unless you like doing this work every year, Volvo original part by far the best option and not too expensive if you buy through the dealers selling at trade prices on eBay.

Don’t forget to have the wheel alignment done afterwards.

Bashy Dec 5th, 2019 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2577998)
The hopping on full lock is likely related to worn bushes, so easier and best to replace the lower arms and ball joints as one assembly.

I would strongly advise against cheap pattern parts unless you like doing this work every year, Volvo original part by far the best option and not too expensive if you buy through the dealers selling at trade prices on eBay.

Don’t forget to have the wheel alignment done afterwards.

Thanks for the advice, there are many on eBay, its knowing the right one lol, I have found one that will do an 8 part set for £123, I highly doubt its a dealer mind lol

Clan Dec 5th, 2019 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2577342)
Hi folks, the cars previous MOT had this as an advisory;

Slight Play in Both Front Suspension Arms

Of which sounds about right as i can hear/feel the knock from both sides, also the car feels likes its skipping (prob a better name for it) a little when on near full lock and its cold

Any ideas as to which ball joints will need doing, will i need 2 new sub frames or can you buy the bj's separately please?

That is a very vague description of a fault you cant have play in arms they are a static component . They probably mean rubber bushes but why guess? It is very rare a ball joint gets play let alone both :-)

Bashy Dec 5th, 2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2578039)
That is a very vague description of a fault you cant have play in arms they are a static component . They probably mean rubber bushes but why guess? It is very rare a ball joint gets play let alone both :-)

I have had to have a few lower ball joints replaced, granted, not in volvo, mostly lagunas, I will get it diagnosed properly anyway, but I can feel and hear the knocking on bumps etc so sommat deffo amiss on that area, both sides too....

Clan Dec 5th, 2019 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2578041)
I have had to have a few lower ball joints replaced, granted, not in volvo, mostly lagunas, I will get it diagnosed properly anyway, but I can feel and hear the knocking on bumps etc so sommat deffo amiss on that area, both sides too....

The anti roll bar link rod joints can make a tapping noise after a high mileage on a road with ripples ... can you tell which side the noise is from ?

Bashy Dec 5th, 2019 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2578052)
The anti roll bar link rod joints can make a tapping noise after a high mileage on a road with ripples ... can you tell which side the noise is from ?

Both sides for sure..

Model flyer Dec 6th, 2019 22:02

If its knocking at the front I would suspect Front shock absorbers and not the ball joints . Anything from 50k on and they can start knocking .