Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   V60 D4 163 5cyl questions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272126)

Andrew007 Aug 28th, 2017 23:06

V60 D4 163 5cyl questions

Hey guys
I have never posted on any forum before so here goes I regularly use this forum for advice and pointers

I have just brought a 5 cyl v60 163 and I could really do with your expert Volvo advice

Fault code p1407 - I know this to be a Egr fault code however not necessarily a egr fault correct ?

When pulling away lower gears lower revs before it gets to the 5cylinder growl I would say slightly injector knocky sounding correct ?

I pulled the oil filler cap reasonable amount of smoke or the best way to describe it when you make a cup of tea and it's hot the steam coming from the cup like that normal ?

Where can I get solid service scheduling aux timing belts etc this seems very up and down depending on where you look

Hopefully someone can help me out here which would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rooster Aug 28th, 2017 23:12

Boost pressure sensor in N/S of intercooler would be a good place to start

Andrew007 Aug 28th, 2017 23:22

I keep seeing this and possible DPF pressure sensor ?
If I clear the code it takes about 200 miles ish for it to return

volvo for ever Aug 29th, 2017 07:27

t-map sensor on intercooler ecm-p004900
replace that first

mattievrs Aug 29th, 2017 23:26

Right, before anything is bought or swapped or guessed about........ get it read on Vida. This will tell you exactly what the issue is and what's needs replacing. Being in Kent I bet there are a few Vida owners on here who would help you out for a couple of beers.

Andrew007 Aug 31st, 2017 22:44

I've had someone take a look they tell me the EGR is opening and closing however the code relates to a EGR flow issue but I'm lead to believe this is just generic to the code so I'm not convinced the EGR is faulty

If there is anyone Kent based who fancies a vida session I'm game

paul0000 Sep 1st, 2017 11:57

Hi there,

I'm new to the world of Volvo (recently purchased a V60 D5) after coming from BMW (530d touring). I'm really pleased so far with the change, although the cars are both a very different drive!

Anyway, not sure if this will help, but I had exactly the same symptoms on my last BMW. I cleaned the EGR valve and it was working just fine. I also swapped the vacuum pipe which didn't help.

In the end my issue was a vacuum pump box which was not generating enough vacuum pressure and causing the error. Swapped and issue fixed.

I now Volvo engines are likely built completely differently, but I'm hoping it'll help with the diagnosis.

Andrew007 Sep 10th, 2017 21:10

Update on this if I cleared the codes the light would come back on within 200 miles so I removed the sensor slightly oily nothing major gave it a clean reinstalled over 200 miles covered no light so far so... it looks like you guys are right also noticed the diesel knock sound is much quieter

Just need to get servicing/ belt changes confirmed now ...

Novicemechanic May 8th, 2018 23:17

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problems with my v60 d4 (2013) the fault code points towards the egr valve but I'm reluctant to replace it as it costs so much and have heard lots of stories of the p140700 fault code relating to other components.
Where is the DPF pressure sensor located? I may try and replace this before messing with the egr.

craigv60 May 9th, 2018 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novicemechanic (Post 2401566)
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problems with my v60 d4 (2013) the fault code points towards the egr valve but I'm reluctant to replace it as it costs so much and have heard lots of stories of the p140700 fault code relating to other components.
Where is the DPF pressure sensor located? I may try and replace this before messing with the egr.

The DPF pressure sensors are between the engine and the bulkhead, above the exhaust & DPF. Quite hard to get at, and can only really be tested by swapping for a known good one.

The other sensor that can give problems related to this fault code is the boost pressure sensor, which is on the intercooler outlet hose, down at the bottom of the engine bay on the passenger side (easy to get at).

My own experience is, even the main dealers cannot be 100% certain which sensor / sensors have failed, because the fault codes do NOT directly indicate what has failed.

When my own 2011 V60 with the same engine as yours was under warranty, it took three visits to the dealer and a completely unnecessary change of EGR valve before they found the problem was actually just a duff sensor.