Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Breakdown Cover for 2002 S60 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293373)

alf Mar 30th, 2019 16:51

Breakdown Cover for 2002 S60

My wife and I are going to Southern Ireland in September this year (2019) and I never realised it would be so difficult to get breakdown insurance. Last time I took a vehicle 'abroad' was in the 70's! Just because my S60 is a 2002 car hence 17 years old a lot of companies, including Volvo's own breakdown cover, won't touch it and others want to charge in the region of £180 just for a few weeks. My normal breakdon insurance covers me for Northern Irelan but not southern as that's not the U.K. Any advice from anyone?

Clan Mar 30th, 2019 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by alf (Post 2508964)
My wife and I are going to Southern Ireland in September this year (2019) and I never realised it would be so difficult to get breakdown insurance. Last time I took a vehicle 'abroad' was in the 70's! Just because my S60 is a 2002 car hence 17 years old a lot of companies, including Volvo's own breakdown cover, won't touch it and others want to charge in the region of £180 just for a few weeks. My normal breakdon insurance covers me for Northern Irelan but not southern as that's not the U.K. Any advice from anyone?

Won't volvo's free breakdown cover you get with a service work ?

BarryCambs Mar 30th, 2019 18:05

I have the same problem with my 2002 V70. I have a 1929 car which has European recovery as part of it's insurance cover (£150 a year all in) with Adrian Flux and I think(?) they also cover cars of this age, but no idea what the premium is. I keep meaning to find out, then always forget when it comes to renew my Green Flag cover for the Volvo. In a couple of years time, the V70 will be old enough for classic insurance too!

We go abroad once or twice a year, but my thinking is, the car is no more likely to breakdown there as it is at home and I've never had a call out in the UK. Even if I paid an extra 25 quid a trip, I'd have spent at least £250 in the last few years, so if it cost a couple of hundred to tow it off a motorway, I'm still in profit :-)

The only twice I had problems abroad it was with punctures, once with a lorry and once with a motorbike. Given this, I always make sure I can get the wheel nuts off (normally cripplingly over tightened by tyre depots) and the spare has air in it.

Clan Mar 30th, 2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryCambs (Post 2508991)
I have the same problem with my 2002 V70. I have a 1929 car which has European recovery as part of it's insurance cover (£150 a year all in) with Adrian Flux and I think(?) they also cover cars of this age, but no idea what the premium is. I keep meaning to find out, then always forget when it comes to renew my Green Flag cover for the Volvo. In a couple of years time, the V70 will be old enough for classic insurance too!

We go abroad once or twice a year, but my thinking is, the car is no more likely to breakdown there as it is at home and I've never had a call out in the UK. Even if I paid an extra 25 quid a trip, I'd have spent at least £250 in the last few years, so if it cost a couple of hundred to tow it off a motorway, I'm still in profit :-)

The only twice I had problems abroad it was with punctures, once with a lorry and once with a motorbike. Given this, I always make sure I can get the wheel nuts off (normally cripplingly over tightened by tyre depots) and the spare has air in it.

my classic breakdown cover vis Flux is £58 around the same as the two main recovery services we all know .

alf Mar 31st, 2019 13:14

Thanks I will try Flux. As for free breakdown with service I've not heard of this. But bearing in mind I use and independent (authorised) Volvo garage and that the car is 17 years old I doubt it would apply - but I can only try! Thanks

Peter28 Mar 31st, 2019 14:32

See how you go with ( Flux ) and try these ( startrescue.co.uk. ) I have been with them now for about 9 years never had any problems with them. :teeth_smile:

Brendan W Mar 31st, 2019 14:34

The breakdown folk say that the majority of callouts are flat tyres, flat batteries, no fuel, wrong fuel, lost, wiper fallen off and so on.
If you can avoid these pitfalls you are in the smiley 5% place.
Tyres had been going soft for weeks if anyone bothered to check, don't leave lights on, check the colour of the fuel nozzle etc etc.
Make sure that whatever you have in the boot can actually turn the wheel fasteners.
Southern Ireland is hardly abroad is it? I mean it's not as if you were planning on going to Scotland or Wales :)

BlueRubber Apr 1st, 2019 12:34

You could try these guys, they are affiliated with autoaid who are a great company to deal with:
https://eurorescue.co.uk/BreakdownServices.aspx

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Apr 1st, 2019 22:28

Hi.
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering here.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

derek vivian May 15th, 2019 16:59

breakdown insurance

Hi Dan at Adrian Flux. I went on to your web site for a quote, but it stopped working after I had put in all my info! My car is a V90 (1997) and I am looking for European breakdown cover for 2 to 3 weeks (France and Italy). Please let me know if you can accept a 22 years ol car?